Menu

Has anyone used Write the Novel Way as part of English?

The co-op we are joining has a class available to high schoolers in Write the Novel Way where at the end of the year, the students will have written a book. My dd is interested in this but I have some questions. FOr one thing, does it have to be a Christian novel or a non-violent novel since my dd's interests lie in writing mysteries, thrillers, and such like? Would it be a useful book to use with a good writer already or is it more geared towards getting reluctant writers to write? Any reviews would be helpful as we try to choose her English for next year. (She will be an 11th grader who will be reading British Lit along with this work).

FWIW, we have not yet used this book, so take what I say with your salt shaker handy ...

... but my 12yod will be using it this coming year. She loves to write, (sounds like much the same genre as yours :) ), so my thinking was to use it to give her a little more structure to what she's already doing.

E.g. Yes, you really do need to plan your plot in advance ... etc.

It's been awhile since I looked the book over, but, I have the distinct "memory" that the author is Christian, though it isn't all that explicit in the book.

And I would think it would be a little young for an 11th grader. But you said your dd would be in a coop class, so maybe the instructor will add to it? If you can, maybe talk with the instructor about it?

It's also not a complete language program, so my dd will be doing additional grammar/vocab/lit.

Hope this helps,

Karen