Menu

FLL 4 w/ WWE 3-4 OR Rod & Staff 5

My 11yo has reading and writing issues (most likely dyslexic/dysgraphic.) At this time he is still struggling to write sentences and paragraphs aren't even on the horizon yet. We are remediating (trying AAS first and moving to Barton if we aren't successful.)

He is currently doing FLL 3 with little difficulty and working in WWE 2. Diagramming comes easy to him.

Rod & Staff 5 looks very good, but I am not sure my ds would benefit from the writing instruction as it is improving paragraph writing and he isn't there yet.

Would it make more sense to do FLL 4 w/ WWE 3-4 for next year and then pick up R & S 5 when he is done? Or should I push him to do R & S 5? He can type better than he can write, so it is possible that he could type the writing assignments (he gets a lot more down when he types!)

I would suggest R&S 4 for your son. If I remember correctly, at level 5 the difficulty increases quite a bit. We are just finishing R&S 3 and I could see a step up in difficulty from R&S2. Good luck.
:iagree: That's what I was going to suggest. Why did you decide R&S 5 instead of 4? If he's having some difficulty, R&S 4 will be a gentler transition for him.

I had the same decision to make for next year. My son will complete FLL 3 this year and I plan to start Rod & Staff 4 with him next year. I'm not sure how it will go. He really loves FLL, so if R&S doesn't go well, I'll put him back in FLL for Level 4. I want to try R&S (again actually as he did R&S 2) because I like the way that the writing instruction is presented and the curriculum that we will be using next year schedules R&S English as a part of their LA.

If your son is doing well with FLL and WWE, you may just want to continue unless you have some other pressing reason for changing. If you do change, definately do R&S 4 rather than 3.

:iagree: That's what I was going to suggest. Why did you decide R&S 5 instead of 4? If he's having some difficulty, R&S 4 will be a gentler transition for him.

I picked 5 because he is going to be a 6th grader next year and the 5 would make him feel better than a 4.;)

If he finished WWE 3-4 and FLL 4, would he be ready for R & S 5?

I picked 5 because he is going to be a 6th grader next year and the 5 would make him feel better than a 4.;)

:001_smile: Makes sense. Just call it a level. Would he rather struggle in a higher level, or understand and move forward better in level 4? My ds15 did level 5 in 7th, 6 in 8th and 7 in 9th. My ds is ONE AWESOME DUDE, so maybe your guy can take after him? ;) :D