Menu

What do you use for memory work for first grade?

gandpsmommy

I am feeling bad today about the fact that we really aren't doing any memory work this year. In preschool and K5, I had dd memorize a lot of scripture because our church in our old town had a great scripture memorization program for the kids and it helped me to be organized and work with her. She also picked up a lot of nursery rhymes, songs, and little poems just from our reading and daily life. Last year she was doing the first grade work for FLL, which included several poems and sayings. We also listened to A Child's Garden of Songs cd throughout the year, which included several of Robert Louis Stevenson's poems set to music. She had a very favorite Bed in Summer, which she memorized just from listening to it over and over.

This year, we just haven't done much. The FLL second grade work doesn't have much memory work, and I guess I hadn't realized what a large black hole memory work has become this year. I know that I need to help her memorize scripture, so I'll work on a list of memory verses. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

wow--you did more in one year than I've done in two!

Why not start with a review of all you've done--what you think is important. Memoria Press has a lovely copywork book, which I've never used (it's manuscript and I taught cursive from the start with my daughter) which includes Bible verses and memorizing them. As for poems, I'm looking at Ambelside myself and there's lots there.

That's all I require. Poetry and Bible Verses....perhaps I'm selling my children short, but memory work already takes up a better part of an hour (along with copywork)It takes time to review all that stuff!

I have used the same materials as you have, and we continue with memory work of Scripture and poetry, but I also started incorporating other subject-area memory. For example, in history, we are memorizing the Gettysburg Address as we study Lincoln, but no matter where you are in history or even in science topics, there will be memory work ideas available.

Also, I found a memory system that finally works for us on a Charlotte Mason website. A simple box, dividers, and labeled index cards and we are actually organized about memory work for the first time!!

If I did this right, the link should be here:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

wow--you did more in one year than I've done in two!

Why not start with a review of all you've done--what you think is important. Memoria Press has a lovely copywork book, which I've never used (it's manuscript and I taught cursive from the start with my daughter) which includes Bible verses and memorizing them. As for poems, I'm looking at Ambelside myself and there's lots there.

That's all I require. Poetry and Bible Verses....perhaps I'm selling my children short, but memory work already takes up a better part of an hour (along with copywork)It takes time to review all that stuff!

Wow, I guess it does sound like more than I thought when I read over it. I have never been really intentional or scheduled when it comes to memory work. It just sort of happened within the flow of our lives and the course of other studies (or it just didn't happen, as in this year!) I'll have to check Ambleside. We are doing cursive, as well, and I have been searching for a good copybook for it. Thanks for the input!

You could try this book:

The Harp and Laurel Wreath: Poetry and Dictation for the Classical Curriculum

The author is Catholic, so I realize that a lot of people might stear away from this book for that reason. I don't think there is a lot of Catholic influence in the book however, as it is mostly poetry and scripture verses. It sounds like it would suit your needs really well.

Here is a limited preview of it from googlebooks. This will give you a better idea if it's something you would like to include in your home library or not.