Menu

Vocabulary Cartoons Elementary

Baseballmom

My 13 ds uses the "Vocabulary Cartoons SAT" book and loves it. It is broken into sections with about 10 words. He will study the cartoons during the week and then I give him the quiz at the end. I then keep quizzing him on past words. He really enjoys it and it helps with him remembering what they mean. He took the College Board SAT test in January and recognized about 3-4 words from the book....and knew what they meant!!!

I plan on adding the elementary book to my youngest son next year (5th grade). I would play around with it and see how many words he could really remember each week and then keep reviewing the past words.

Hope that helps :)

I wasn't impressed with the book when we first got it, but my older boys really, really liked it, so we have the elementary and SAT versions now. I would have them review the words each day, and we would go over the matching and/or fill-in-the-blank orally on Fridays. However, I think the strength of this type of book is being able to recall the cartoon for the word, so after we worked through each book together, I would put it in our car. The boys look through the books and quiz each other when we travel. I really have to give credit to these books. My middle son used the word 'facade' correctly in a sentence the other day. He also used 'arduous' this morning (regarding his Greek) which I'm pretty sure is in one of those books. Again, I'm not a fan of cartoonish type books, but this approach to vocabulary has worked well for us.

This is how I used the books with my boys. I had the kids write down the definition after reading it in the book. Write each word in a sentence of their own creation and to create their own drawing to demonstrate the word's definition. I had two kids using the book at the same time so I typed out each review and printed it off for the boys to fill out on their own. Then using Vocabulary Worksheet Factory program I made up crossword puzzles, matching and multiple choice work sheets. Here is the link to the program http://www.schoolhousetech.com/Vocabulary/Default.aspx The program can be used for free for a certain time period so you can check it out to see if it is useful :cool:

Blessings,

Rebecca