Menu

B'nai Mitzvah questions

I know the hive can help me here.

We have been invited to a B'nai Mitzvah. They live in our neighborhood, we have known the kids since they were born, ds (15) hangs out with them, kind of like a big brother at times.

They are having a ceremony at the temple in the morning. Then the invitation says Oneg to follow the service. Then there is a celebration at 6 pm with dinner at a local hotel.

We did attend a funeral at the temple a few years ago but that is our only exposure to Jewish ceremonies. What should we expect at the ceremony? Is it only for these kids or like confirmation where there is a whole class of kids?

What is an Oneg? I looked it up on wiki and it seems like a celebration but then what is the purpose of the later celebration?

For the dinner, it just says to choose meat or fish. Is there a traditional meat or fish that is served?

Are there any things we should not do or participate in? Anything we should do, other than attend and give a gift?

Thanks!!!

I didn't know what to expect either.

The service was just for this girl.....it was very relaxed setting and we learned quite a bit. They had lots of singing. We mostly didn't join in but observed the ceremony. Their were lots of non-Jewish people there, so we didn't stand out by any means.

They had a big "party" celebration afterwards. I am betting that they spent more money on this than some people do on their daughter's wedding. It was a nice sit down meal, with an open bar, dancing, etc....

What should we expect at the ceremony? Is it only for these kids or like confirmation where there is a whole class of kids?

What is an Oneg? I looked it up on wiki and it seems like a celebration but then what is the purpose of the later celebration?

For the dinner, it just says to choose meat or fish. Is there a traditional meat or fish that is served?

Are there any things we should not do or participate in? Anything we should do, other than attend and give a gift?

Thanks!!!

It will be just the one kid. Oneg is snacks. Like cake and pop. Meat will be beef or chicken most likely. Call them and ask if you want to know which one. Fish might be any number of things. Salmon is popular.

It's pretty easy. Just sit quietly during the service. Stand when others stand and sit when they sit. You will need to wear a head covering, so either bring a shall or they will have head covers for you to take (and keep as a souvenir).

To say congrats, say Mazel Tov! :)