Menu

Kumon math as more than a supplement/drill

BikeBookBread

We have used Kumon products quite significantly since my girls were 2, mostly for fun, easy learning. Purely from a cosmetic standpoint, I love the colorful, friendly illustrations.

Does anyone use the more-advanced Kumon workbooks (especially math) for extra drill or as a standalone math curr. for that matter?

We used them for extra drill. Ariel completed the Easy Time while I was searching for a math program that fit (we went through 4 or 5 different curricula :glare:) and it really helped her. She's currently working through the Simple Addition book and it's going well, she has her +1 facts down cold. She just started the +2 stuff. She likes the little illustrations and it isn't overwhelming. She has also done the Numbers 1-30, Numbers 1-120 and Number Games 1-70.

A lot of new workbooks are coming out in July.

My girls have been going to Kumon math classes for a few years now. We are planning to take them out of the classes for the summer and buy these more advanced workbooks. I agree they just look kind of fun! Today the kids came home from class and told their dad they don't want to stop classes in the summer. Crazy kids:lol:!!

Edited by helena
spelling

This summer the little man will have been going to the Kumon Center for 2 years. At home we have the Grade 3 addition and subtraction so that ds has some review (extra drill) while working on other topics at the center. However, I do not believe we will be purchasing any more of the Calculation Skills Workbooks, because this is covering so intensely at the center. OTOH- I am curious to see the new Geometry&Measurement Workbooks and Word Problems Workbooks that are coming out this summer, because these skills are not covered indepth at the center.

HTH-

Mandy