Menu

writing literary analysis

Ladies,

I need help with teaching the writing portion of literary analysis. I finally feel confident now with the help of the WEM and other resources to discuss literary terms but not the writing aspect of analysis. Hopefully that makes sense. Is there a program out there to do this or to do both? Does Smarr do this? I just can't get a clear idea from the samples online. What about IEW's "Windows on the World?" It appears from the table of contents to walk through the analytical writing, but I don't really get this from any comments I've read.

My second question is what grade should literary analysis writing be a regular assignment in my child's work? I know I was doing this by 11th grade at my public high school, but can't remember if I started in 9th or 10th. What is typical?

Thanks,

April in WA

IEW's Classical Rhetoric through Structure and Style - Writing Lessons Based on the Progymnasmata by Adam Muller. It seems to have the qualities you're looking for.

It uses excerpts from the classics and the Bible for rhetorical written analysis of the literary works.

SMARR

Only have used one individual SMARR lit. guide, which is not the whole program, so this may be of no help. Very underwhelmed with the guide we used for Epic of Gilgamesh -- $8 for only a few pages, with very little in it: a single paragraph of background info on author/times/the work; some vocabulary words; some comprehension questions; only about 6 real discussion questions; only twice was a literary element mentioned, and even then it was only with a one sentence description of what it was and no real mention of examples from the text; no information on how to write an essay; no essay question assignment ideas. Perhaps some of that information is in a larger overall SMARR teaching guide???

Windows to the World

In the midst of using Windows to the World this year. We plan to spread it over 2 years. It's very clear and informative. The first section covers what annotation is, why it is helpful/important, and how to do it. We're currently in the midst of the section which teaches you how to write a literary analysis essay -- very clear and helpful instructions, plus great examples. Here's my thumbnail review of it from a previous post:

- Windows on the World

see it at: http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/index.php?q=product/windows-world%3A-introduction-literary-analysis-teacher/student-combo

see table of contents and sample pages at: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=5007348&netp_id=523467&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

A very helpful step-by-step high school program put out by the Institute for Excellence in Writing, which focuses on short stories. The program first teaches annotation (reading the short story twice, and making comments in the margins), and by using your own notes, seeing literary elements, which then leads to literary analysis. There is also a very helpful lengthy step-by-step section on how to write a literary analysis essay.

Below are some additional past threads that may be of help in writing a literary analysis essay. BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmly, Lori D.

Favorite Literary Analysis Program

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92510

Windows to the World questions

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2113761&pp=25&page=2

Windows to the World

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32643&highlight=writing+literary+analysis

Difference between Windows to the World and Teaching the Classics

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22266&highlight=writing+literary+analysis

Examples of Literary Analysis Essays?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84582&highlight=writing+literary+analysis

Edited by Lori D.
correction

Guest Katia
SMARR

Only have used one individual SMARR lit. guide, which is not the whole program, so this may be of no help. Very underwhelmed with the guide we used for Epic of Gilgamesh -- $8 for only a few pages, with very in it: a single paragraph of background info on author/times/the work; some vocabulary words; some comprehension questions; only about 6 real discussion questions; only twice was a literary element mentioned, and even then it was only with a one sentence description of what it was and no real mention of examples from the text; no information on how to write an essay; no essay question assignment ideas. Perhaps some of that information is in a larger overall SMARR teaching guide???

No, you can't judge the Smarr program by simply using one guide.

Although Smarr does sell individual literature guides, and they also sell their research report guide and writing instruction booklet, it is a service for those that have already purchased their complete courses and need those separate components for other children or perhaps it was lost or damaged. None of them are supposed to be used alone or in and of themselves.

But Smarr also does not advertise itself as a "literary analysis" course. It is a typical high school honors course that includes literature, vocabulary, recall questions, critical thinking questions, background information on the authors, the times the book was written and other pertinent information to help the student understand the work, and writing and grammar instruction. However.....the critical thinking questions will often be and/or lead to literary analysis, and many of them make a good starting point for essays.

I can't even imagine taking one small component of a complete program, using it out of context and then judging the entire program by that experience. Smarr is not for everyone, as no curriculum is, but it is more than just what you experienced by using one guide.

I can help with your second question. My boys are in public school now. My 9th grader is doing literary analysis papers in his honors English class; I believe he also did some last year in 8th grade. My 11th grader's honors English class expected that all students were familiar and proficient with this type of paper. Hope this helps!

Ria

Katia,

Thank you for the input on Smarr. I've heard many people like Smarr very well, but I understand not every program works for everyone. Are you saying it does include actual instruction on how to write a literary analysis? I just can't tell that from the sample of the Tale of Two Cities on their website. I need more than just a lead in or good ideas for essays. I need the instruction built in.

Thanks,

April