Menu

Junior high English curricula for tutoring?

WTMCassandra

So, if you were going to tutor a public school student in English, what all-around curricula would you choose? This would be afterschooling, I guess.

I'm tutoring the older brother right now in grammar with Analytical Grammar and it's going well, but I think I will need an all-around program for the younger brother.

My children are taking such a hugely different language arts path that I really can't relate. I'm sure this student will expect a textbook approach. And I have plenty of knowledge of the subject and can work with just about anything.

I'm thinking about possibly ABeka. I like R&S but I'm concerned I will terrify this public schooler if I try it. What do you think?

You could go with a lower level of the R&S. It depends what grade he's in and what level of grammar he's at.

Christian Liberty Press has 6? levels of books called "Applications of Grammar". Book 1 is considered the 7th grade level. Here's a link if you care to check it out: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=WW0109190&event=1016SPF%7C1104135%7C66044

Best wishes in finding what you need and will work!

No, I think R&S is totally out. I think the text will appear so old-fashioned to this boy as to freak him out. And he has some learning challenges, so I don't think it will fly for him to have to copy everything out.

Now that CLP book looks pretty good! I do wish they had more than one unit on writing. Do they do diagramming?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by WTMCassandra

I don't see diagramming in the Level 3 book I have here. I know SWB recommends these books for work on diagramming if using other things for the Grammar and writing: The First Whole Book of Diagrams" by Mary Daly. (2002 edition), and Elementary Diagramming Worktext. Oh, she says the last one is good when ordered with the first one. I don't know anything about them other than that, but it may be worth a look just in case.

Here's Cathy Duffy's review of the Appllications of Grammar books: http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/applications-of-grammar.htm

Edited by Brindee

I have the Daly book and I have used the worktexts with my own children, so I know what they are.

I am really looking for something all-in-one. Sigh. I keep coming back to ABeka. Sigh again.

And since I've been using CW I haven't had to deal with the ABeka behemoth!!!! I was relishing my freedom from ABeka, but maybe I will have to go that route.