Menu

HOD: Could you use it for everything but History?

Tabrett

I know this may sound crazy, but I want to keep a 4 year history cycle using SOTW for grades 1-4. But..... I want everything else planned out and I want it to be Bible centered and the subjects to intertwine!!!!

I am using LHTH with my 4 year and I love it. I love how the art, letter of the week and well...everything is centered around the Bible story.

I plan on doing MFW 1 this fall with my dd with SOTW 1 three times a week. I think I can do Adventures with SOTW 3 (at lest I want to try). But that leaves me grades 2 and 4 with out a integrated pre-planned curriculum.

Do you think you could do Beyond or Bigger minus the history? OR would it mess up the entire program?

Edited to say that I just saw this is for your 5yo and I'm much less familiar with the younger programs. Sorry! I hope my comments didn't cause any confusion.

Like you, I want (and need with an active 2yo) everything planned out for me this coming year. I also want to keep my guys together for Bible and history. I was drawn to HOD and with the help of the author and the ladies on the HOD boards, I figured out a plan.

We'll be using Bigger Hearts in it's entirety with our 9yo and the left side or Learning Through History only with our 11yo next year. As you probably already know, it includes Bible and history. I'll beef up the American history for our 11yo.

Our 11yo will be using just the right side or Learning the Basics (with the exception of Bible Study because it's in Bigger)of Hearts for Him: Creation to Christ. It includes all language arts (dictation, grammar, writing, poetry) and a wonderful study of life science/biology.

So, the short answer is yes, I definitely think it can be done. If you're unsure, you can email Carrie. She is so helpful and helped me sort everything out.

And fwiw, I felt such a strong pull towards HOD and let go of the history-cycle. (Did I just say that on the WTM forum???)

hth :),

Edited by angela&4boys

I guess you could, but like the others have said, everything is so well related to each other. I'm wondering if it would get confusing, or be too much, to try to do HOD but then something different for history. On the HOD site it addresses the history cycle; you might want to go read about it.

The bottom line is, you want to make sure the 3R's are being covered well when they are young. History is a lower priority.