Menu

Colleen, may I ask...

Rhondabee

how your oldest is doing with Core 6 this year? Specifically, since he had already read (or listened) to SOTW-1, is he put off by going through it again?

(I really doubt my younger ds would remember it, anyway. He just figured out *today* ~ while studying the Industrial Revolution ~ that we've been going through history "from the beginning". He felt it was important I know this - LOL!)

Thanks!

Rhonda

and not doing Sonlight, but we are using TOG and we almost always read the chapter of SOTW that goes with the topic as extra reading. They don't remember parts of it (even though we studied it and listened to it on audiobook.) But, they like the review. It doesn't bother them to go back over the topics in a fresh way.

• 3 weeks later...
how your oldest is doing with Core 6 this year? Specifically, since he had already read (or listened) to SOTW-1, is he put off by going through it again?

I apologize for not replying sooner. Not that you've been waiting with bated breath for my answer, but I feel bad when someone directly asks me a question and I don't catch it. Any-hoo, my oldest is enjoying Core 6 quite well. His recollection of SOTW 1 & 2 is pretty hazy, so that's not an issue. In my experience the deep, dark secret about what you study and read with your little people is that they likely won't recall most it later anyway.:tongue_smilie:

In my experience the deep, dark secret about what you study and read with your little people is that they likely won't recall most it later anyway.:tongue_smilie:

You know I have told a lot of new homeschoolers this and they all poo poo it, but we have found the same thing! Ah well, nothing like experience to make a believer out of you. :tongue_smilie:

We also using SL 6 with HO (Ancients/Middle Ages) this year. Oldest dd 12 did not want to re-read SOTW, so she is using a couple other spines that go along with HO level 2; however... I have had her help me read aloud to her younger sister, who is using SOTW (1 & 2) this year with HO level 1.

sneaky mom :coolgleamA:

You know I have told a lot of new homeschoolers this and they all poo poo it, but we have found the same thing! Ah well, nothing like experience to make a believer out of you. :tongue_smilie:

Kate, I used to be a poo pooer but I am now one of those believers. That has helped me to move forward with all material and not worry about mastery. What freedom I have found in just moving forward, not to mention that my kids enjoy school a lot more too.

In my experience the deep, dark secret about what you study and read with your little people is that they likely won't recall most it later anyway.:tongue_smilie:

This has been my experience too. It has helped me to relax a lot with my youngest. :)