Menu

CLE Reading -- do I want it?

My son (6.5) has been reading since he was 3. He can read/comprehend anything I hand him (or anything he finds laying around the house!!!!). He doesn't really like to be read "to," but he is the kind of kid that have to say things like "no, you may NOT take your book in the shower!" and "you can't read your book and ride your scooter at the same time!!!" Anyhoo...I've been on the CLE site a bit lately and I really like the looks of the reading program. I know the actual books would be quite easy for him to read, but I feel the Light Units discuss things that we haven't covered. Is this worthwhile, or should I just let him plow ahead like he's been? We are switching to CLE for Math and LA, so another concern is him getting bored with all the work-booky stuff. Thoughts? Perhaps just buy the readers as some lovely books to have on hand?

Thanks so much!

for exactly the reason you stated - it will teach what they will not learn by just reading. It's a challenging course - not the reading but the lightunits.

We took a break from CLE reading for most of this year because it became drudgery for my ds. We'll be back to it for grade 7.

The CLE readers are delightful, wholesome reading with a strong Christian perspective. We use them as devotional-type reading. I think the workbooks are unnecessary and even undesirable at your son's age. Just get the reader and let him enjoy the stories.

I found the grades 1-3 workbooks to be too heavy on diacritical marks that my children didn't learn in SSRW. So, we just read the readers until grade 4, where the focus changes. Now, with my youngest I'm going to take another look at grade 3 reading workbooks at our homeschool fair. But, that is what I've done so far.