Menu

Pre-K Language Development ?

Sahamamama

I'm looking for something similar to Abeka's Pre-K/K4 Language Development Cards/Teacher Manual.

https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=55557

This set is $70.25, and I'd like something less expensive, but still printed in full color. The Abeka package is a set of 38 picture cards and a 200-page teacher manual. :glare: Any ideas?

Also, if you've used the Abeka set, were you satisfied with it? Was the program worth the purchase price? Thanks!

Are you set on getting a curriculum?

You may not need to buy something. Lots of preschool language development happens just by reading tons of books and playing around with language.

My daughter is 4 and I would consider her language development to be right on track. We do not have a curriculum. I found preschool developmental guidelines online (PA and IA guidelines) and with What Your Preschooler Needs to Know--for language, math, social skills, etc. and use that as a guide to make sure her learning is broad in scope and thorough.

We read books daily, sometimes several times a day. We sing songs. We tell our own stories. We play games using homemade rhyming cards and read books with rhyming. We play brainstorming games for letters ("how many words can we think of that start with B?"). I have a shallow box of sand in which she practices "writing" her letters. She plays with lacing cards. We talk about interesting pictures--famous painting, magazine advertisements, calendar pictures, etc. We write outside on the sidewalk with chalk.

I do have some lined notebooks and a dry erase board for her to write her letters on if she wishes. We make homemade books about things she's interested in or things I find for her to learn (e.g., butterfly lifecycle)--she can color in the "book" and then write her letters. We watch Old School Sesame Street sometimes, too.

We also encourage her to "read" (narrate) books to her younger brother. She likes telling the story of The Little Engine That Could, for instance. She also acts out some stories we read; she especially likes acting out The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help on "for purchase" curricula. I hope some of these ideas help, though. :) Best of luck!

Are you set on getting a curriculum?

No, not really. In fact, I was thinking that $70 is a lot of money for a set of picture cards and a "Teacher Manual" (that I probably wouldn't even need). I did think that it might be useful to ask if anyone has suggestions for something similar, but not pricey. ;) We're not a bank, LOL!

We do a lot of read aloud here. We have plenty for our 4+ year old, but I thought the picture cards might be fun for my twin 2+ year olds -- something to look at, point to, and talk about -- besides picture books from the library. I do think that the set would build their vocabulary (with minimal prep time on my part), but I don't think it's the only way (or even the best way) to go -- just simple for me to pull out a card and talk about it, label things (new words), and ask questions. I know my twins, they would love this.

Thanks for the ideas, they are all appreciated! Does anyone know of a Picture Card Set (not Abeka), something pre-printed, colorful, sturdy, and not super expensive? Thanks! :bigear:

I am a Speech-Language Pathologist by training. The best language curriculum is free, not a bought curriculum. Just as stated in an earlier post. Children learn language by hearing language. So talk, talk to her about everything she sees, everything she does, everything you do. Read, read, read....the same books over and over until she "reads" them back to you. Have her answer simple questions about what you just read or what she just saw on TV. Sing songs, learn finger plays and simple rhymes. Rhyme everything...this is an important phonological skill which will play largely into pre-reading and pre-spelling skills. Play sound games such as ...tell me all the words you can that start with the /f/ sound. Count and do simple verbal/visual adding..."Look, I have one cookie and you have one cookie. If we put them together, how many cookies do we have." Play "I Spy" looking for things of different colors, different shapes, different functions. Color, trace, and play in the sand, shaving cream, etc making shapes, numbers and letters.

Following a developmental skill checklist is a great suggestion. For further info on language and speech development in children you can check out www.asha.org (log in as a consumer or non-professional, I can't remember exactly how it is listed) and type in a search for info you want. You will also want to check out articles or lists on phonemic (phonological) awareness skills as these are the underlying developmental skills for good reading and spelling.

So, as I tell lots of parents...have fun, play, and talk until you feel your jaw will drop...great language will come...that includes spelling and reading skills too!

Homeschooling SLP

Get a photo album and make your own word book.

Use family pictures, or magazine pictures or copy from books.

Put a letter on each page and put the pictures on the correct page, or sort it by subject- kitchen things, family, animals.

Or put them on index cards and make your own cards.

My little brother had a set of animal cards that he loved, I think they were just from Wal-Mart, probably 3 or 4 dollars, look by the flashcards.