Menu

Going from SM 1B to CLE Math- placement questions

SS in MD

My 8 yo is finishing up SM 1B, it was a tough year for math for her. I needs more review, and more concrete examples. SM worked great with her older sisters, but she needs something else. I've decided to try CLE Math. I looked at the diagnostic tests online (rep told me to do so) for level 100, she told me if dd can do most of 100, then put her in CLE Math 2, she said "use your discretion". Well, SM has a totally different scope, so we haven't done much measurement, a little time, and fractions, but dd has forgotten, some. I'm confused as to where to place dd... Any thoughts??

Thanks!

I just switched my 8yo from Singapore to CLE math. She was half way through Singapore 2A when she switched. I started her on CLE 201, since it reviews everything taught in CLE 100. She's doing very well working at this level, and I can't believe the incredible improvement on her math facts! She's over half way through 202 now, and has scored very well on her quizzes and test.

You will want to keep in mind that my dd had already covered addition and subtraction with renaming/regrouping. 201 assumes the student has already learned this, so even though they review it, it would probably be best to purchase the LU that teaches this topic. It can be a difficult concept for young children (although if you've already taught Singapore to your older children, you might be able to cover this concept without the extra help).

Lori

Or you can get the 201 lightunit which is review, and work through all the concepts that were missed in the 1st grade and then take the plaement test again since it is readily available.

I can tell you that my 4th grader started math in the middle of the 200 level of CLE math. She is now half way through the 300 level. It is all good. She is moving along at a good pace for her, and we are pleased with her progress.

Jennie