Menu

What do you take/make for a picnic lunch?

I'm taking the kids for a picnic lunch tomorrow, so tonight I made a big vat of chicken biryani -- three chickens, 7.5 cups of rice (uncooked). I'll pack some of it in our insulated tiffin, and should have leftovers for dinner for perhaps two days, or maybe less if dh has a midnight snack, lol.

My kids have never been into cold lunches.. well, any kind of cold meals (other than breakfast cereal). So hard for me, I'd love to be able to make some sandwiches, or have cold fried chicken. Nothing doing. I guess this is their Indian heritage coming out -- my inlaws always have major spreads of hot food on picnic meals.

So what do you pack for a picnic?

But luckily he likes hard-boiled eggs. :) That's always part of a picnic for us, as are various types of sandwiches. Cut-up veggies & ranch dressing. Fruit. Chapatis if I have any made. Any leftovers (like pizza) that can be eaten cold. Water bottles.

We have Pakistani friends who don't picnic without a mini propane stove, and cook chappli kababs. Yum! (I'm too lazy for that.)

My hat's off to you for picnicing with biryani!

Amy

Our picnics usually consist of cold foods. Sandwiches, cheese, crackers, fruits, veggies, and of course, cookies fro dessert. Unless we are going to grill burgers at the lake, then we will take a grill, and have burgers, hot dogs, chips, fruit, veggies, and smores! Yum! I'm getting hungry for summer!