Menu

dh at home

Does anybody know where one would start looking for contuction jobs overseas. My husband is a JM Metal Framer, but has also directed tower cranes. People keep telling us there are lots of job overseas for the crane, but where do we look?

Now for the thing I really need help with. I need help keeping dh busy. He hates iting still and having nothing to do. We are early risers, and by the time I am done making breakfast he ha cleaned everything uptairs: swept, dusted, moved furniture daily, and beds made. I know this is great but he leaves me with nothing to do around the house accept cook and clean the kitchen and bathroom. I know, I knw boo hoo, but by 10A.M. he has finished and is pacing the house, which is distracting. So, I have put him in charge of science experiments, and given him and my BIL a book for read aloud each day. I also gave my huband Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain to try out over the summer, and help him expand his artistic side, but we need more ideas. He does all of thi happily, but he need more, I've even gotten him to go jogging to pend some of hi energy, but still. Ideas? This is a guy that can't it aound and watch TV.

Danielle

Oh can I relate!!!!! My dh is off work and has been for a month and a half. He is going NUTS. And I love him, but he is making me nuts, too.

Some of the stuff he has done to keep busy is helping our elderly neighbors with anything they need, or asking our church if there are widows who could use a hand with yard work. This is not for money and he makes sure they understand that, but it keeps him busy.

I hope he gets a job soon.

Katy

Exactly! Oh sweet God, I'm not alone. I feel so bad, but yes it's driving me nuts. I don't know what we will do the day he retires. I think by then we will need a huge house with an even bigger garden...that will keep him busy 'til lunch, LOL.

Danielle

There probably aren't volunteer opportunities for cranes, lol, but does he know other basic construction skills? Maybe he could volunteer for Habitat for Humanity or something like that? I know that if someone wanted to just full time volunteer in our church - taking meals to Moms with babies, taking older people do doctor appointments, etc, they could stay really busy.

If he's service oriented, maybe he could just really look for opportunities to help his community.

I hope he finds a job soon, though!

That sounds like my dad (not my hubby . . . I wish! . . .I'd rather he be pacing around than sitting and watching TV!). My dad NEEDS to be doing something constructive and productive or he goes crazy. Even after he had a stroke and lost most of the use of the right side of his body, he's got a million projects going on.

What about starting a garden? Building a shed or a playhouse? Fixing a fence? Refinishing cupboards? Building shelves in the garage? Buying an old car to tinker on?

Good luck helping him find ways to keep him busy while he looks for a job! :001_smile:

I think he would love to do that, but I failed to mention that we are in Mexico. People here are not at all volunteer oriented, even at church...weird:glare:. He has helped my neighbor a lot with work around the house, she is a single mother, and that has been great. I am about to tart breaking tuff around the houe for him to fix, LOL. We are planning to go to the states in the next month, so I will look into it while we are there. Last time he was out of work (5 yrs ago) he painted my father house as well as the neighbor, believe it or not he was so happy. Today he aked that the children get the day off, so we might go do a family beach clean-up then play some futbol. This is by far his fav. thing to do, besides watch Sat morning cartoon or Discovery with the kids, which they are doing now.

That sounds like my dad (not my hubby . . . I wish! . . .I'd rather he be pacing around than sitting and watching TV!). My dad NEEDS to be doing something constructive and productive or he goes crazy. Even after he had a stroke and lost most of the use of the right side of his body, he's got a million projects going on.

What about starting a garden? Building a shed or a playhouse? Fixing a fence? Refinishing cupboards? Building shelves in the garage? Buying an old car to tinker on?

Good luck helping him find ways to keep him busy while he looks for a job! :001_smile:

Yup...I am going to start a list today. He put a home alarm system in for my neighbor too. Maybe we should get one. Great ideas. Thanks.