Menu

Opinions on the results of a ECC or CAW study

1shortmomto4

I find myself in quandry about next year's possible curriculum. A big part of me would love to my kids to learn about the world outside the boundaries of the US. I find that they just don't have an understanding of the blessings and ease in their lives by living here. I grew up living in 3rd world countries (Africa, Korea) and could see and experience the poverty and differences of the living conditions in these countries versus the US. My dh grew up in Puerto Rico, although a part of the US, during those years of his youth, the island was pretty close to a 3rd world country (his schooling was unbelievably sparse). As I look at these programs, I think wow! this would be great to do with them but not sure if this changes them. Do they get more out these programs other than making a map and knowing where the country is on the atlas or globe? While it might be fun to make some foods, I don't think I can spend a year doing that each week. I want them to have more meat and potatoes so to speak but also unsure whethere I can add in enough resources (just the cost could be an issue!). Bottomline is I'm wondering for those that have done a course like this - did this change your children. Did they see their world in a new way or is this something that comes later as they mature? Perspective? Thoughts? Ideas?

Bottomline is I'm wondering for those that have done a course like this - did this change your children. Did they see their world in a new way or is this something that comes later as they mature? Perspective? Thoughts? Ideas?

Absolutely. We are using ECC and it has definitely changed my dc's perspective as well as mine in regards to viewing the world from God's eyes. There are so many people in need and who need our prayers. We are learning about various people and their cultures in addition to the geography skills. The mission stories tie in so well also. We have learned through the geography games, map skills, puzzles, recipes, related vocabulary and science, mission stories, Bible reading, world culture readings, industry/agriculture and economics readings, music, and art. We have read tons of library books from the suggestions list for our book basket also. I was concerned about a year long geography course for a second also but this is what Charlotte Mason did in her day and I can understand why. My dc have learned so much. It's a great program but every family's needs are different, of course. :)

In answer to QAW - I do like it and my kids have really retained a lot. Recently, our pastor at church was covering Jonah and Whale and was giving all this background info about Ninevah and my kids were bored. When church was over they were waiting to hear about something they didn't already know. That was cool because I'm never sure what they are taking in between those ears and retaining - ;-) I am using a combination of both the 4-6 and Jr/Sr high program since I'm teaching a 7th and 9th grader. There are some parts that we've not used (archeaology for example) but I've balanced most of the readings between both levels because they each offer a little bit more - sometimes when the concepts are abstract it is nice to have it presented in an easier text and then the next day it is presented in a higher-level when I read about it from the Jr/Sr high book. We have not read all of the read-alouds but we're comfortable with that. I think it can be a bit bogged down trying to read stuff that you spend some time trying to pronounce names and places of ancient times and lose the flow of the reading. So far the ones we've read we've enjoyed and I've supplemented with a few selections from SL's Core 6/7. We are currently reading The Illiad and unbeknownced to me, my young 6 year old has been listening in and comprehending the story! Reading aloud is something that my older kids have just really gotten into this year and do enjoy (they did attend PS for a few years) so it has taken a year or two to get into a groove with their learning styles and my expectations. We are not the crafty-type family, although my dd is, so much of the hands-on craft stuff was not done. It is nice to know that it is there should I decide to do this level again with my 2 youngers when they are older. I am glad that I waited until they were older to do this level for sure because I think they got the most "meat" out of the program. I will admit, though, that the new Ancients program by HOD looks really awesome and I wish my dd would not have done Ancients this year because I think she would have enjoyed it a lot but what can you do. She wants to do the cultures program by WP but I'm really trying to find a way not to be teaching various programs all over the curriculum map to 3 of my 4 kids (my oldest loves BJU DVDs so he's doing the whole program next year rather that just a few subjects).

I'm going to try and find a copy of the Windows on the World and take a peek. I keep waiting for the new 2nd edition ECC samples to come online so that I can get a better feel and see if I could reasonably incorporate the two (CAW and ECC) and make for a great year. I just was really wondering about the retention and impact on their lives of such a program. If it was just learning about where a continent or country was, that could be easily accomplished by a map exercise book - I really want them to walk away with a new perspective on the world around them. I know much of that comes from me and my dh but I think we could always use a little help, if you kwim?

Guest aquiverfull

I'm using WP AS1 this year, we're almost finished. I plan to do MFW ECC and I might add in some resources from CAW. I already own a lot of the books that are in ECC, so that's one reason I choose to go with it. I just ordered the current edition of the Teacher's Manual. We already do another science, so I'm not sure how much MFW science we would be doing, so I didn't worry about having the newest science book they added into the 2nd edition.

Another reason is that I have some little ones who might want to listen in and I thought it may be more appropriate. I have heard of some questionnable content in CAW like gang rape, prositution, etc. I'm really not sure my 10 yr old would even be able to handle those topics herself, much less the little ears in the room. The main reason I chose MFW is because of the Bible. From what I hear it is integrated into the program, vs. kinda being tacked on in WP. Since it is not integrated in WP it has gotten put on the back burner around here this year. I really want to change that next year.

Also I hear that MFW has a great balance of all it's subjects. I can't tell you how much I feel like our History has taken over our whole school. It takes a large part of our day and I realized that our school is revolving around it. We are putting more into history than our real priorities like Math and LAs. We came from SL before WP and I think I began to think like that. History and Read alouds were our school. The other subjects took second place. I'm having to put my priorities in order next year and I thought MFW could possibly benefit us in that area.