Menu

Saxon to RightStart... need help!

Aloha2U

Ok, where do I start?! I am not very good with words.

My ds(4.5) just recently completed Saxon Math K w/Singapore Earlybird 1A & 1B (which we thoroughly enjoyed and he definitely benefitted from doing all of the above) and this is our second week in Saxon Math 1. I had planned on continuing to use Saxon as our spine and supplementing with Singapore (Earlybird, right now) to create a well rounded math program. However, I recently discovered the benefits of the RightStart Math Card Games and Abacus and am completely blown away with what my ds has picked up on by just doing basic abacus activities and such. I hesitated to start Saxon Math 1, but proceeded anyways. I understand that the first part of it is review, but my ds is beyond much of it. I've considered skipping a number of lessons, but after discovering RS I've realized that I really like the way RS presents mathematic concepts and my ds actually learns much better this way.

Although I am almost sure that I want to make the switch to RS for my ds, I hold reservations because Saxon is/was a security blanket for me. I really like the idea of repetition and review that Saxon offers, but if you build a solid foundation (i.e. Base 10 concept) is so much of that review necessary? Making this switch means that he would start with RS Level A and continue to supplement w/Singapore Earlybird 2A & 2B (U.S. Editions). Would supplementing w/Singapore provide enough review? Can anyone offer input?

:bigear:

Yes I think RS is enough. I do have my kids play games daily. They are learning or know their math facts and are very comfortable with math. Though I will qualify that with they are also using Singapore math, but it has more of a critical thinking focus. My oldest was 9 when she started RS level B, and RS has given her a fluency, an ease with math she didn't have before. It isn't because the amount of work, but the understanding the concepts behind the problems.

Heather

Yes I think RS is enough. I do have my kids play games daily. They are learning or know their math facts and are very comfortable with math. Though I will qualify that with they are also using Singapore math, but it has more of a critical thinking focus. My oldest was 9 when she started RS level B, and RS has given her a fluency, an ease with math she didn't have before. It isn't because the amount of work, but the understanding the concepts behind the problems.

Heather

If RS is enough, why use Singapore too (are you using all of it)? What are the benefits you see of using both, and doesn't it take a lot of time?

Thanks!

If RS is enough, why use Singapore too (are you using all of it)? What are the benefits you see of using both, and doesn't it take a lot of time?

Thanks!

I use Singapore for three reasons. First of all I am a math person and I adore the problem solving philosophy of Singapore. It was my first love, so to speak, but my kids don't really agree. :001_huh: They tolerate Singapore, and they love RS (most of the time ;) ). I only bought RS after figuring out my 2nd dd is a hands on learner and realizing Singapore alone would not work for her. Second is because I hs year around and have more time to do more math. Third I plan to have the kids work through Singapore's NEM as their main program when they finish with RS, so keeping them in the Singapore thinking and problem solving will help prepare them for that.

RS's specialty is building a base knowledge of math. Singapore can also do this for those who are math intuitive, but Singapore at times makes logical leaps that RS will lead a child through step by step, IMO. The longer I use RS the more I am impressed with how easy it makes math.

Singapore's strength is that it will teach a child a concept then in the CWP or the IP it will expect a child to apply the concept to a new situation. This is also the way NEM is set up. Instead of giving the child a formula and having them plug numbers into it so they can practice math, it will teach the concept then to make sure it was understood it it will begin to give the child problems that require them to apply the principle in a new way. That is what gives NEM the reputation for being tough, you don't practice using a formula you practice applying the formula.

Doing both programs is tough, even hsing year around. My oldest two are inclined towards the veterinary field, which equates to them needing a good grasp of math. Thus I decided to make the time for both. That means that my oldest will take two years to finish her Latin program instead of doing it in one year, so that she has more time to work on math (she has been consulted on this and is 100% on board with it). Consequently, my oldest does two lessons a day in RS D, and 5 pages a day in Singapore, though what she is doing in Singapore right now is very easy for her, when she hits something more difficult we will back that off.

At the same time I don't pile it on from the beginning. I don't even start Singapore 1A till my kids start 2nd grade, and while my oldest does two lessons a day in RS, my 2nd dd is not. She may later on, but at this point there is no need. My oldest is mature enough to see the end goal and is willing to work hard to reach it. My 2nd dd is 3rd grade doing 2 pages a day in Singapore 2B and RS C, only one lesson a day. My 3rd dd is 2nd grade doing 2 pages a day in Singapore 1B and RS B. She often only does one lesson a week in RS, because she still needs me to do the worksheets with her, I schedule one day a week for a game with me, and if I schedule a practice sheet that week that only leaves two days for new concepts. My 6yo DS is K and only does RS A. He is a very wiggly boy, so he does about a lesson a week. I spread out the lessons, doing warm ups, the lessons and the worksheets (when there is a worksheet) all on separate days, then he also has a day where he just plays a game with me.

That is probably more than you want to know, but hopefully that explains why I do both, and how.

Heather

Wow, that is exactly what I wanted to know (but didn't expect you to type all out for me). Thank you so much!

Do you feel the same SM love towards EB? I see you're not currently using them with your youngest...

I have them, but no I don't. I own the older version that is now OOP. When we fist started hsing my dh had been laid off, so I took the book apart and put it in page protectors for long term use. I still have it and could use it, but I don't. The problem I have is the skills the older version worked with were such a mis-match. It would do simple matching work, then expect a child to read ordinal numbers. :001_huh: Then it would practice writing numbers, then expect the child to be able to write and read the names of the numbers. :blink: I am hoping the newer version leveled out some of these problems, but at this point RS is just working well, and my ds enjoys it. Besides his writing is horrible, so I would have to sit with him and do the writing for him. By the time he hits 2nd grade his writing skills will be in place and his reading skills, so he should be able to do it independently (the workbook after having introduce skills to him with the textbook). That has just worked so well for my 3rd dd where trying to do Singapore primary 1 in 1st grade with my oldest two meant I had to do a lot of hand holding. I had the time for that with the oldest, wanted to pull my hair out with the 2nd but did it. Now I just wait and save myself the trouble. :D

Heather

I had planned on just starting my ds in Level A, but... I just answered the starting level questionnaire and based on my answers, it suggests the best choice for my ds is RightStart Mathematics Level B.

I guess I could use some reassurance that it's ok to skip level A and start level B, since we're new to RS. Will he miss out on anything from level A that isn't covered in level B?

You won't miss anything in Level A if you start in B. Level B just goes in deeper...but still gentle. I wish I would have started my Ker in B. We did A, but he sat in on my ds8's B level...because he loves math!...and he picked up the concepts really easy. We started B last week and we were able to skip A LOT of it because it was review. Your child will understand the base 10 concepts starting in B. HTH!

You won't miss anything in Level A if you start in B. Level B just goes in deeper...but still gentle. I wish I would have started my Ker in B. We did A, but he sat in on my ds8's B level...because he loves math!...and he picked up the concepts really easy. We started B last week and we were able to skip A LOT of it because it was review. Your child will understand the base 10 concepts starting in B. HTH!

I agree with Brittney. Level A just takes concepts in level B and covers them in more detail, for younger students who might not be able to grasp the concepts as quickly as they are covered in B. In the TOC of level B there are actually stared...or bolded (don't remember which) titles, which are the ones you can skip if you did level A. If you start in level B the worst that can happen is you have to take it slower, and play more games for review.

Heather