Menu

1st grade LA question

shusband

I'm going to be homeschooling a first grader next year, and I have a question about language arts. He reads very simple books (Bob books, set 2).

1. Is ETC sufficient for spelling?

2. I think this is too much, but I own the following and am wondering what to use and how often during the week:

ETC books 1,2,3

WWE

FLL

Spelling Workout A

HWT

Thanks for your help.

Summer

ds5 (in ps for K and will homeschool next year)

ds3

ds2

Hi Summer,

I did not use any spelling program until we finished phonics, so in my opinion, ETC is fine.

We used HTW, but once we finished with the book then we just practiced our handwriting when we did our phonics and copywork.

I did like FFL for a while, but then we got tired of it and dropped it before we got to the 2nd grade part.

WWE wasn't available when I had first graders, but I did do copywork with first graders. So, I would say go ahead and keep it.

The bulk of your time in 1st grade will be spent on the basics. Each of these books will only take a very short amount of time each day.

Jennie

We're doing letter writing (rather than narritive writing - DD doesn't seem to see the point to write for the sake of writing) and ETC next year for DD (6 in Oct). I'm not going to stress the spelling, and I suspect her handwriting will improve as she does more of it. We'll start formal spelling when she finishes ETC.

I'm going to be homeschooling a first grader next year, and I have a question about language arts. He reads very simple books (Bob books, set 2).

1. Is ETC sufficient for spelling?

2. I think this is too much, but I own the following and am wondering what to use and how often during the week:

ETC books 1,2,3

WWE

FLL

Spelling Workout A

HWT

Thanks for your help.

Summer

ds5 (in ps for K and will homeschool next year)

ds3

ds2

This is where your ds is reading now. SO much will change in the next few months before you start school. :001_smile: I think that ETC books are a great way to improve spelling, reading and writing skills. Honestly, I would start out w/ ETC and HWT. That's where we started. When we got to book 3 we added in some grammar and copy work. But I am so grateful that we spent more time on reading than on everything else. The rest seems to follow.

KB