Menu

Talk to me about Developmental Math-Please. :)

Background-Neither dd nor I are mathy people. It isn't so much that she is bad at math, it is just her weaker area and she doesn't like it. Up until now we have used ACE paces and a Spectrum grade 4 workbook. BTW, she took a standardized test last year and scored pretty well in math, but lower than her language arts scores.

I was considering Saxon for the upcoming year, but am concerned that it will frustrate her. I want her to learn and be challenged, but not overwhelmed.

I am just starting to look into Developmental Math and I have found a placement test for it. I am pretty sure that this curriculum was mentioned in the second edition of TWTM, but I don't recall what was said about it. I think it said it might need to be supplemented in some way. I only own the 1999 version and borrowed the other from the library.

Anyway, any insight and opinions would be appreciated. I do like that it is affordable. I considered Teaching Textbooks, but it is just not in our budget this year at all.:glare:

Thanks.

Have you seen this thread from over a year ago? It doesn't get talked about much around here.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10240&highlight=developmental+mathematics

Thank you so much for the link. :001_smile: That really helps a lot. I will look into this curriculum further. I found the placement tests and am having dd work on those.

Thanks again.:D

I was using DM and loved it, but ended up switching for a few reasons...

I was concerned about the non-traditional scope & sequence of the series. When I looked at what my dd was supposed to know at the end of 2nd gr, she hadn't learned 90% of those things. We ended up repeating 2nd gr math with a traditional math book (BJU).

My husband wants to do yearly standard testing. I did not feel that we would be equipped in the early years to do well on a standardized test. Later on, she probably would've done great - but I couldn't content myself with being behind for a few years.

But I did love the way it taught and it did help my dd to apply math in different ways (ex: seeing 6 + 4 as something that could be grouped differently, like 3 + 3 + 2 + 2, or 5 + 5, etc.). I also thought the story problems were quite challenging (but in a good way) and helped dd think mathematically and logically.

TWTM said something in the book about DM not having enough practice or story problems or something like that, I can't remember. There are a few good reviews online - I think it is Mary Pride that has used this series with her kids (she had a mathematical background) and reviews it in her book about curriculum (can't remember the name). Also, Cathy Duffy reviews the series: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/math/developmental-mathematics.htm

In a nutshell: I think DM is a great math series IF you don't mind falling behind the typical scope & sequence of the public school system initially (and you may end up ahead in the long run).

I was using DM and loved it, but ended up switching for a few reasons...

I was concerned about the non-traditional scope & sequence of the series. When I looked at what my dd was supposed to know at the end of 2nd gr, she hadn't learned 90% of those things. We ended up repeating 2nd gr math with a traditional math book (BJU).

My husband wants to do yearly standard testing. I did not feel that we would be equipped in the early years to do well on a standardized test. Later on, she probably would've done great - but I couldn't content myself with being behind for a few years.

But I did love the way it taught and it did help my dd to apply math in different ways (ex: seeing 6 + 4 as something that could be grouped differently, like 3 + 3 + 2 + 2, or 5 + 5, etc.). I also thought the story problems were quite challenging (but in a good way) and helped dd think mathematically and logically.

TWTM said something in the book about DM not having enough practice or story problems or something like that, I can't remember. There are a few good reviews online - I think it is Mary Pride that has used this series with her kids (she had a mathematical background) and reviews it in her book about curriculum (can't remember the name). Also, Cathy Duffy reviews the series: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/math/developmental-mathematics.htm

In a nutshell: I think DM is a great math series IF you don't mind falling behind the typical scope & sequence of the public school system initially (and you may end up ahead in the long run).

Yes, I just pulled out my Mary Pride book and she gave it a great review. Also, I checked on Cathy Duffy's site, and her review was indeed positive. I don't worry a whole lot about following a different scope and sequence. We used to do ACE paces for math, and they are slower starting also. I wonder if Dev. Math is closer to "grade level" by the fifth grade. That is where dd will be next year. Or, does it catch up by high school? Anyway, I am keeping it in the running.:)

Thanks again everyone.