Menu

Tell me about LLATL, please.

Hi,

I am looking at LLATL for next year with my 4 school aged children (speciffically grades 1, 4, 7 & 8). Keeping in mind that we have a new baby joining us in November, and a 2/3 yo running around, I would greatly appreciate you opinions on this curriculum.

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? Is it easy to teach 4 levels at the same time? How much creative writing instruction is there? How much time do you spend on it on a daily basis? Is it easy to use? Is it open and go, or is there prep work that has to be done?

Thanks so much for your help,

We've used LLATL yellow this year in 3rd grade. DS9 has gone from dreading language arts to looking forward to it! For most lessons, there is a short dictation/copywork passage then various exercises that relate to the topic in the lesson (ie subjects/predicates, or pronouns, or contractions) There are also literature units with a suggested book and activities to go with it. It is very teacher friendly and requires no time to get ready to teach it... really, it's open it and go! Hope this helps a little!

I love LLATL Blue and Red looks just as good. Both my older son and I detested LLATL Orange and I felt it was too light in the areas of grammar, writing, and spelling in the older grades to really call it "complete."

In short, I think would be good/fun for your youngers. For your olders, I would go with something a bit more meaty. My older son switched to CLE Language arts with DITHOR reading and WWE for writing and we couldn't be happier. :)