Menu

Henle for a 6th grader?

Quiver0f10

I am rethinking what we are planning for Latin for fall(LFC B). I have Henle and was thinking of maybe that for my upcoming 9th, 8th and 6th graders. The 9th and 8th are average students, but the 6th is advanced. If we went slowly do you think this could work?

I am rethinking what we are planning for Latin for fall(LFC B). I have Henle and was thinking of maybe that for my upcoming 9th, 8th and 6th graders. The 9th and 8th are average students, but the 6th is advanced. If we went slowly do you think this could work?

Ds will be in 6th next year and using Henle. We'll be using the MP guides, and I will be playing around with those to set a pace that is right for him. He has the PL/LC1/LC2 background, and I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

We attend a co op that does Latin for Children B (they may start "C" at the end of the year) thru 6th grade and changes to Henle for 7-8th. The co op used MP Units 1-2, for 7th and 3-5 for 8th. We are just finishing Units 3-5 this May.

The LfC B (and esp the "C" are just as rigorous as the Henle).

We did LC 1 & 2 at home before Henle at the co op and found a lot of repetition and a lot of going deeper with Henle - and a great teacher helped a lot. Henle Yr 1, Units 1-2 deal almost strictly with nouns. Units 3-5 deal almost strictly with verbs. We had combined noun/verb study of the other Latin currics we used, so approx 20% of henle vocab was new to us.

Also, I would guess the MP guides would be a slow enough pace for you. We spend about 1/2 hr a day or less on Latin this year and last in Henle. I think most people on these boards talk about a faster pace then we are using - but we keep our time to a minimum poss. because we have had so many years of Latin (in our 5th year). I like the MP pace because we can still do Latin but keep the time/energy requirements to a minimum.

lisaj, mom to 5