Menu

Opinions please.....thinking about switching from Abeka LA to CLE LA?

cam112198

Hi,

I am planning for next year and would love your opinion!!

We have been using Abeka LA (1st grade) this year. I don't really have any complaints except that I hear that later it can be overkill. And I know that their writing is supposed to be weak.

I thought next year we might (not sure yet) switch to R&S or CLE. I think I have narrowed it down to CLE if we switch at all.

We use CLE for Math and LOVE it!!! It is the one subject that I am completely satisfied with and plan to use for a long time. So I thought we would probably love CLE LA as well. And if the writing was better, then I wouldn't absolutely have to add in another writing program. I would have a complete LA program that was good all around.

What do you think? Would you switch? I would continue to do Abeka's phonics until the end of 2nd grade. And I want to start a spelling program next year (probably AAS). I did not care for Abeka's spelling. How does Abeka LA compare to CLE LA? Has anyone switched from one to the other?

I would love to hear from you! I appreciate all of the advice from you guys who have been hsing longer than me! :001_smile:

We didn't know about it until this year. (My dd is in 8th grade). We love it so much more than A BEKA. My dd has gone from dreading LA to LA being her favorite subject!

We used ABEKA in 1st thru 3rd and had no complaints. Then we tried Shurley Grammar, Rod and Staff, then back to ABEKA.

As you can see, we didn't use R&S in the younger grades, either.

One thing to consider for next year is the way the texts look. A BEKA is colorful and visually appealing (Although that in istself could make it difficult for some children.)

My best advice is to try to look at the other programs to see what you like. R&S could be a lot of writing unless you do it orally (We did a lot of it orally.) I hope all my rambling is somewhat helpful. Kathy

CLE LA doesn't really include writing like most LA's programs. In 3rd grade you do practice writing a friendly letter, paragraphs and a simple report, but that's really it. That said, we LOVE this program for LA and reading. We used it this year for 3rd and 5th. Next year we will use it for 4th, 6th and 8th.

Blessings,

April in WA