Menu

Ideas on what kind of car to buy?

I need to get my car payment down. We are reducing our expenses all over the place, and this is one area we really need to work on.

I have 3 kids, so would like at least a 6-seater, 7 would be better. I of course want good gas mileage and a safe car. I don't mind buying used, but now is the time to buy new, or so that's the word on the street. There are killer deals out there.

Any thoughts on what make/model I should look at? I LOVE the Ford Flex but so far it's the only thing I've come up with.

Christa

I will write more later...heading out to Costco....But

According to hubby (who is ASE mechanic and fleet superintendant):

Stay away from the Ford Flex because they have engine problems and the real world gas mileage is *13* miles per gallon.

Blessings,

:crying: Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Our discussion is now shifting to Suburbans. We're thinking of picking up a used one. Is there a car your dh would really recommend?

Thanks!

Christa

I'm not sure of your thoughts on foreign cars, but we have a Kia Sedona wagon (2007), and we love it! We got a great deal on it (under $20K), and it has a ton of features. Gas milage is usually around 20-23 mpg -- typical for a minivan. It's received the top safety rating (5 stars) for 3 years in a row now, and it has a great warranty (10yrs/100Kmiles). I can't recommend it enough!

Good luck as you search! :)

PS - My SIL has a Suburban, and she hates it... HUGE gas guzzler.

I have a Buick Rendezvous that I absolutely LOVE. It seats 7.

I just bought a Chrysler Pacifica that seats 6. Love it too, but have only had it a week.

2008 is the last year for the Pacifica, so there are some new ones out that are seriously discounted. I bought mine used, but it still has some warranty left.

Both of them are very quiet, very smooth rides. Especially the Buick. I can't say enough how much I love that car.

Oh yeah, the mileage is pretty good on both of them. In town I average 18-19 mpg. I haven't taken the Pacifica on a road trip yet, but in the Rendezvous I get about 24-25 on the highway.

:crying: Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Our discussion is now shifting to Suburbans. We're thinking of picking up a used one. Is there a car your dh would really recommend?

Thanks!

Christa

From Dh: I operate a fleet of 350 vehicles and it's very diverse. We have most every make & model of car, truck, van, SUV, etc. I don't currently have any "bad" units. Each has it's quirks but nothing major.

If you're looking for mileage and seats, minivans are the way to go. (Unless you need 4WD) We've owned Domestic & import minivans, crew cab trucks and full size SUVs since we started the family 10 years ago. The Honda Odyssey has been the best overall.

Great reliability & resale value.

Seats up to 8.

17-18mpg in town.

Power sliding side doors. (a huge plus when you get pinched into a parking stall)

2nd & 3rd row seats have many configurations to suit your needs.

Built in Lincoln, Al.

It's a great all around vehicle.

We've got Suburbans & Expedition ELs in the fleet at work.

They're bigger than a minivan.

They're harder to park & maneuver.

Terrible MPG. (9-13 in town)

Seats don't fold into the floor or remove as easily.

Generally, don't hold up as well over time.

Everyone's experiences will vary but I hope this helps.