Menu

Any information on GoPhonics?

bjwilk

Did you request their sample pack? I was impressed with what I saw, BUT the cost was WAY over the amount that I could reasonable justify spending! The games package looks pretty cool, but in all honesty, you could probably really come up with them on your own. All About Spelling is a good way to teach phonics if that is what you are wanting to do AND is much less expensive! Despite its name it can be used to teach reading and she has now developed a reader to go along with level 1. So you could teach 2 subjects at 1 time!

Thanks maadrose.

It IS expensive, which is causing me to gulp when thinking about purchasing it. I didn't request a sample packet because my family and I are living in the Philippines and it would take months for it to reach us here, and I need to order the curriculum now to have it in time. Sigh.

I guess part of the appeal is that I wouldn't have to spend the time creating my own games and activities. That sounds awful, but I know I just don't have the time or energy to do all the wonderful things myself that I'd like to do. I'm new to homeschooling my two boys (6 and 10), and we are trying this out in a foreign country on the mission field. Resources and time are limited. Fortunately, there is a group of about 8 families here I've come in contact with who also homeschool, but they all have older kids and are way past the phonics/beg. reader phase.

Thanks for your insights and help. I'll look at the program you suggested.

If you are looking for phonics games, we have enjoyed Happy Phonics here. The author recommends using Explode the Code workbooks too. My ds isn't reading yet, but he's definitely enjoying this combo better than anything else we've tried, so that's a start!

ETA: I was able to get my HP set for about $25 used, so it was definitely affordable!

I have a free fun game:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Also, the Pollard series of reading and spelling books is free online and has a lot of fun songs and activities, it's linked from my "good reading and spelling books page:" http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/phonicsandspelli.html

Read, Write, and Type is also linked there, it's fun--a bit expensive, but you can try a demo free first.

Blend Phonics is not fun, but is a good beginning method that can be taught quickly, and is free and also linked from that page.

Here are my recommendations for teaching a beginning student: http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/newstudents.html

While I've only homeschooled for 2 years, I've tutored with phonics for 16 years, so I have a lot of experience in that area. About a half dozen of my students have been K or 1st grade students--they are slightly different to work with than an older child or an adult. They have characteristics of a beginning student as well as characteristics of a remedial student.

If you have any specific areas or trouble or need more ideas or have more questions, let me know, I may have seen a similar problem and have ideas for how to fix it.