Menu

Fairy Tales Study guide by Veritas Press

Has anyone used this?

I'm thinking of using it with my eight year old and 11 year old Will it be too simplistic? (I looked at one page at Rainbow resource and it was just comprehension questions.) I'd be looking for something that will bring out the elements of the Tales--something that will help us see what they all have in common--something that will help us see the archetypical character types--that sort of thing.

What is it like? TIA.

I don't think you're going to find Jungian analysis of fairy tale archetypes in a Veritas Press study guide. There are a lot of free resources for English teachers on that subject if you do a Google search for "fairy tales" + archetypes.

I have an out of print book called Fact Fantasy and Folklore, published by Good Apple, written by Greta B. Lipson and Baxter Morrison. The ISBN is 0916456110. I see you can get it on Amazon.com for $0.43.

The authors pose questions like, for Beauty and the Beast, "What are the criteria for measuring the beauty of people? Is it sound to judge the quality of people from appearance alone? If the Beast had not turned into a handsome prince but remained the ugly gentle creature, would the end of the story have been as gratifying and acceptable?" There's background info on each tale for the teacher that can be read aloud, and language arts activities ranging from a great guide to freestyle role-playing to guided poetry composition. For Chicken Little, kids are asked to research what a scientist might have said about the sky falling, and emergency preparedness is discussed. It's a relatively awesome book, really, even just for the discussion questions.

Well, I hadn't Jung in mind, specifically! :D

I was using the word more loosely, as in the prototypical characters which constitute the fairy tale. I found this, for example, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Vladimir Propp found 7 broad character types in the 100 tales he analyzed:

1. The villain — struggles against the hero.
  2. The donor — prepares the hero or gives the hero some magical object.
  3. The (magical) helper — helps the hero in the quest.
  4. The princess and her father — gives the task to the hero, identifies the false hero, marries the hero, often sought for during the narrative. Propp noted that functionally, the princess and the father can not be clearly distinguished.
  5. The dispatcher — character who makes the lack known and sends the hero off.
  6. The hero or victim/seeker hero — reacts to the donor, weds the princess.
  7. [False hero] — takes credit for the hero’s actions or tries to marry the princess.[5]

I like the sound of that guide, though. Thanks for your critique.

Thank you for mentioning that book I just ordered one from Amazon. I try to alternate FIAR with a notebook/lapbook page with Jr.Great Book and Socratic Disscussion for mine this year. Trying to develop depth while meeting the developmental needs of 8 year olds. I have been using "Suppose the wolf were an octupus" by Royal Firewoks Press. This will add to that I hope. Once again thanks.

Alicia in New Zealand