Menu

Poor word recall; slow to read

Excellent in math. DO these traits ring a bell with any one.

Not sure what is going on with ds 8/2nd grade. He is bright and understands the concepts well but his recall is well interesting.

FOr example, he asks he what is the name for the person who is like the wife only the man. i.e husband

He has trouble retelling a story with the story words. If you give him long enough he will come up with the story but it isn't fast. It usually is more in depth than the story is. It is almost as if he is trying to make it make sense.He adds motivation. He hates stories and loves anything non-fiction.

He asked why Santa didn't get Altitude sickness.:001_smile:

He reads below grade level although this is improving since we have gone to non-fiction. He seems to understand all the phonix rules and aced the phonographix pretest but can't always apply it. He practices but I don't see big gains from the practice.

He has trouble with rhymes. He can rhyme but not remember them in songs or jingles. FOr ex.

Jesus loves me comes out as:

Jesus loves me, loves me a lot. It says so in the bible.

( Clearly comprehension is not the problem).

WOuld appreciate any insights.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Excellent in math. DO these traits ring a bell with any one.

Not sure what is going on with ds 8/2nd grade. He is bright and understands the concepts well but his recall is well interesting.

FOr example, he asks he what is the name for the person who is like the wife only the man. i.e husband

He has trouble retelling a story with the story words. If you give him long enough he will come up with the story but it isn't fast. It usually is more in depth than the story is. It is almost as if he is trying to make it make sense.He adds motivation. He hates stories and loves anything non-fiction.

He asked why Santa didn't get Altitude sickness.:001_smile:

He reads below grade level although this is improving since we have gone to non-fiction. He seems to understand all the phonix rules and aced the phonographix pretest but can't always apply it. He practices but I don't see big gains from the practice.

He has trouble with rhymes. He can rhyme but not remember them in songs or jingles. FOr ex.

Jesus loves me comes out as:

Jesus loves me, loves me a lot. It says so in the bible.

( Clearly comprehension is not the problem).

WOuld appreciate any insights.

Thanks

These sound like some of the sub-sets of issues that often go along with dyslexia. Many people with dyslexia are very bright while have problems with language processing and memory for a string of words. Reading can be a problem at the start, but a bright child can often get by with reading in the early grades by relying on other skills to help. That can make it tougher to catch what's really going on with them. One term people sometimes use that might also apply is "2E"--twice exceptional. That means they are exceptionally strong and even gifted in one or more areas (like math) while being exceptionally weak in other areas (like language).

Here's a link that might be helpful http://www.brightsolutions.us/