Menu

Langauge Arts for 2nd grader

~Puddins~

My DS (7 and 1st grade) is reading really well, he is about to finish up book 6 of Explode the Code, he also does handwriting, reading alone and out loud, and Growing with Grammar.

For next year I am considering dropping ETC and moving into spelling since his reading skills are far superior to his spelling skills. We have SWO B already, and will continue with GWG and handwriting. Should I add in a writing program? Any suggestions?

It covers copywork, narration and dictation and is easy to implement. For my second grader, I use mostly copywork, dictation, and have her write summaries or rewrite fables or fairy tales in her own words, but we have gradually grown into what we do through the year. We started with WWE and could have stayed with it - I acually still use it for dictation. We use poetry that she is memorizing for copywork, and we vary the other things we do in writing. Here is a link to the WWE samples.

We started out the year using WWE for my 1st grader and did enjoy it. About halfway through the year though we started to just use the same model WWE uses but just applied it to the book he was reading at the time.

For example, he's currently reading "The Silver Chair". He reads a couple of chapters a day and then I pull copywork, dictation and vocabulary words from what he's read. I've also been re-reading the books (I love them dearly so this gave me an excuse:tongue_smilie:) so that he can narrate what he's read and we can discuss for comprehension purposes.

We do use a separate spelling curriculum (Sequential Spelling) and FLL level 3 for Grammar (on a lighter, more stretched out schedule).

Like I said, I really liked WWE with the exception that they were only getting snippets of stories at a time which gave it a slightly disconnected feel. By using a book that he's reading in full it feels a little more cohesive.:) Also, since ds is a bit asynchronous with language arts it allows me to tailor things more to where he's at and still allows him to read books that are at his reading level.

I hope this made sense..lol!

We just started WWE here as well. It is easy right now for my older ds who is in 4th grade, and it is a bit of a challenge for my ds 5 who is not used to copy work. I think it is a good program in different ways for both of them. It is very light early on, but don't let that scare you away. It picks up the pace and, if used throught the years, really lays a solid foundation in writing. :)