Menu

Need Writing Supplement Ideas for 9th Grader

Here it is March and we are working through the BJU DVD program for English/Lit and my ds is just not doing a very good job (or the job at all) in the writing assignments. I need to use something else ASAP to be sure I've got a full English I credit for this year. He's done well, finally, with the literature and his grammar is improving but I need something to supplement the writing. I'm thinking that even if we work through the first 1/3 or 1/2 now (he knows we'll have to work a bit into the summer), then we could do the other half next year. He is not strong AT ALL in writing - this is definitely a weakness and I just don't know how to help him. I'm thinking almost square one - from the topic sentence, making an outline and putting it together, etc. I just have become overwhelmed looking at all the options online that I thought I might give here a try to come up with some suggestions to point me in the right direction. I'm not hung up on grade levels but need to build his skills (and, of course, his confidence levels). Help?!

Heidi

Here it is March and we are working through the BJU DVD program for English/Lit and my ds is just not doing a very good job (or the job at all) in the writing assignments. I need to use something else ASAP to be sure I've got a full English I credit for this year. He's done well, finally, with the literature and his grammar is improving but I need something to supplement the writing. I'm thinking that even if we work through the first 1/3 or 1/2 now (he knows we'll have to work a bit into the summer), then we could do the other half next year. He is not strong AT ALL in writing - this is definitely a weakness and I just don't know how to help him. I'm thinking almost square one - from the topic sentence, making an outline and putting it together, etc. I just have become overwhelmed looking at all the options online that I thought I might give here a try to come up with some suggestions to point me in the right direction. I'm not hung up on grade levels but need to build his skills (and, of course, his confidence levels). Help?!

Heidi

For just learning how to write a good sentence, I've used books from the Sentence Composing series with great success. For writing paragraphs and 5 paragraph essays, we've had luck with IEW. It covers outlining, topic sentences, clinchers, dialogue, word selection, research, etc.

It's worth it! IEW Student Writing Intensive has 15 lessons which last about 30-45 minutes and your son will be outlining and organizing his writing by the end. You could do this in 2-3 painless weeks over the summer, or spread it out over a semester or year. In my opinion, if you get the SWI, you do not need the TWSS. I bought both and never used the TWSS. I sat with DD for about 1/2 to 3/4 of the lessons, 1) to show her how important it is to learn the lessons, 2) to learn the material myself and 3) to reinforce through discussion. It went great! SWI C goes through 8 units of IEW's 9 units.

My 2 cents. :)

He is not strong AT ALL in writing - this is definitely a weakness and I just don't know how to help him. I'm thinking almost square one - from the topic sentence, making an outline and putting it together, etc. I just have become overwhelmed looking at all the options online that I thought I might give here a try to come up with some suggestions to point me in the right direction. I'm not hung up on grade levels but need to build his skills (and, of course, his confidence levels). Help?!

Heidi

I second the suggestion to go with IEW SWI-C. Andrew Pudewa lays out the basics for your student and then teaches some stylistic techniques step by step. He takes the mystery out of writing, in part by giving models, structure and tools for writing. You could easily complete the course this spring and summer and then move into the high school essay intensive or a theme-based book next year.

BTW, there is an active Yahoo group which can be very helpful when starting the program. Like the other poster, though, I started with the SWI rather than TWSS and never experienced a curriculum fog since Pudewa teaches the lesson in the DVD.

HTH,

Lisa

Let me throw another suggestion at you.

For less than $10 you can pick uip a used copy of "The Lively Art of Writing" by Lucile Vaughn Payne. I discovered this little gem in the Veritas catalog several years ago and it is worth many texts two or three times the price.

In vivid, INTERESTING prose she explains how to write a composition, covers some basic grammar and even tackles a true 'essay' and term paper.

The chapters are short, with great exercises at the end of each. There are also writing exercies - sometimes you write a five paragraphy essay, sometimes you just write a part of one and add a different part the next chapter. There are also vocabulary words.

It is only 13 chapters long and if this were the only writing a student was doing, could easily be done at the rate of a chapter a week.

This is a great 9th grade text and I have used it with about 20 different kids in co-op situations and will be using it with my own 9th grade DD next year.

IEW is great as well, but wanted to point this out to you.

kate in seattle

feeling weird to be back on the boards - but I will have in one high school again next year.