Menu

Questions about chickens setting on eggs

We have a banty hen setting on eggs right now. We think she will hatch them at the end of this week.

She is setting in a nesting box that is hanging on the wall. Dh and I are afraid that when they hatch they will injury themselves jumping from the box to the ground, about a 1 to 2 ft jump. Should we try to move her? Can we move her to a nesting box we have on the ground?

Also, once they hatch should we separate them from the rest of the chickens?

We are very excited about the prospect of baby chicks! Any advice is appreciated.

Adrianne

We have a banty hen setting on eggs right now. We think she will hatch them at the end of this week.

She is setting in a nesting box that is hanging on the wall. Dh and I are afraid that when they hatch they will injury themselves jumping from the box to the ground, about a 1 to 2 ft jump. Should we try to move her? Can we move her to a nesting box we have on the ground?

Also, once they hatch should we separate them from the rest of the chickens?

We are very excited about the prospect of baby chicks! Any advice is appreciated.

Adrianne

When our bantams have hatched out chicks they have alway done so in hanging nest boxes. We have waited till the chicks have hatched to move them. And then have set up a cardboard box with shavings (about the same size as the nest box) in the coop.

We have never had problems, or a need to segregate our chicks from the other hens and the rooster (in fact the others in the flock have only been helpful). I'm not sure if this amiable behavior is breed dependent. We have Rhode Island Red bantams, which are a very easy-going variety. I believe I've read pecking can be a problem, but we have never experienced such a thing.

Bill (city-slicker, of limited experience)

When our bantams have hatched out chicks they have alway done so in hanging nest boxes. We have waited till the chicks have hatched to move them. And then have set up a cardboard box with shavings (about the same size as the nest box) in the coop.

We have never had problems, or a need to segregate our chicks from the other hens and the rooster (in fact the others in the flock have only been helpful). I'm not sure if this amiable behavior is breed dependent. We have Rhode Island Red bantams, which are a very easy-going variety. I believe I've read pecking can be a problem, but we have never experienced such a thing.

Bill (city-slicker, of limited experience)

How did you feed them?

Thanks Bill!

How did you feed them?

Thanks Bill!

There is a special mash for chicks called "starter mash." I believe the chicks have a certain "built in" reserve that can hold them for several days, but we put out starter and water straight away.

It can be tricky finding the right containers for the food and water, shallow enough so they can reach, but hard for them to tip. And they will walk in both, and spill and make a big mess for a short period. But they "mature" quickly.

Keeping their food inside their "box" does keep the other flock-members away from the chick food.

Bill

Keeping their food inside their "box" does keep the other flock-members away from the chick food.

Bill

Hmmm... In the past when we have purchased babies, we had to keep them in a box with a mesh lid to keep the larger chickens out (we have about 25 full size RRR). The larger chickens would go in the box and eat the baby food otherwise. (knock over the containers etc)

If we put the mother and the babes in this box, then they cannot get out unless we let them. I don't want to restrict the mother hen or mother nature. I was hoping she would do her thing and care for the babies.

The food seems to be an issue.

Hmmm... In the past when we have purchased babies, we had to keep them in a box with a mesh lid to keep the larger chickens out (we have about 25 full size RRR). The larger chickens would go in the box and eat the baby food otherwise. (knock over the containers etc)

If we put the mother and the babes in this box, then they cannot get out unless we let them. I don't want to restrict the mother hen or mother nature. I was hoping she would do her thing and care for the babies.

The food seems to be an issue.

With our first hatchlings I actually had a secondary smaller box that I attacked to the larger box with tape, and cut an entrance (at the back) so only the chicks could enter, with a flap on the top so we could refill the food. Because I thought we might have a problem. But we never did. Perhaps we've just been lucky.

And Momma hen did a good job keeping out the rest of the flock, and the chicks did a good job unsetting there own food :lol:

Bill