Menu

If you attend classical conversations for 1st-3rdish

snickelfritz

I can't wait for this next year.. We'll start as soon as CC is over...and we're into Ancients. I'm kinda trying to do LCC at home, so we're on to Famous Men of Rome, SOTW I(mostly audio) and other fun projects. I think I'm gonna get the Evans-Moore projects for my kids.....I have a will be 6th and 1st grader I'll be doing it with.

Carrie:-)

If we didn't do CC, then we could be done by 12:00 on other days and take that day that we would have been at CC and do a project day and do our

1. hands-on history, after reading/listening to SOTW audiobook throughout the week.

2. Science peojects to match up to what we've been reading.

3. Art projects

It all sounds like things that we would cover at CC. BUT, I'm fighting with wanting to do OUR stuff and let CC be extra. But, THAT means we would need to do longer days throughout the rest of the week.

Hey Erica,

Only you can tell if CC will be good for you. While I'm doing more of a relaxed LCC at home, CC fits with us because of the cumulative knowledge that my children have/will have. I'm not worried about them forgetting the info, partially because of our review system. Also, we might go longer each year because I direct and we don't necessarily get it all done each week. No problem, kids don't need to stop thinking about their work "school" for all summer.

We love the families that are attracted to rigorous, planned academics. I don't think you'll be sorry if you do CC....

It all sounds like things that we would cover at CC. BUT, I'm fighting with wanting to do OUR stuff and let CC be extra. But, THAT means we would need to do longer days throughout the rest of the week.

I was of the same mind this year as you said. Often during the week, I wish we had no outside commitments so we could have all the time to do what we want. Then once we're in the middle of our CC morning, I'm thrilled to be a part of it. I see how much the kids are learning and being with other kids has been great.

It has taken me awhile to really know that CC isn't an add on to our school, it is a big part of it. I have had to change my expectations of what we do in a week, and that's ok! So, maybe you don't need have longer school days. Your week's goals can look different. In the whole scheme of things, it doesn't matter if your math or grammar book takes you 1 year (like the curriculum says it should) or 18 months.

This year we have done extra reading related to science topics (a DK body book), read books at home about the great artists (it helped I am the tutor, so we had the books for class) and did SOTW (mostly audio with coloring pages and map work). I'm still deciding about next year and if we'll use CC as memory work only or the spine of our school.

This year we have done extra reading related to science topics (a DK body book), read books at home about the great artists (it helped I am the tutor, so we had the books for class) and did SOTW (mostly audio with coloring pages and map work). I'm still deciding about next year and if we'll use CC as memory work only or the spine of our school.

And what you described is EXACTLY what I'm considering doing. If I decide that I'm too tied to doing SOTW and science more the WTM way, I just don't think I can pull it off and spend a day at CC. I've got too big of a desire to be finished by noon in me and I can't make all that happen at the same time. At least, not on my excel spreadsheet.:D And if I can't make it all work in THEORY, I know I couldn't make it work in actual practice.

Edited by snickelfritz

... I just don't think I can pull it off and spend a day at CC. ..... At least, not on my excel spreadsheet.:D And if I can't make it all work in THEORY, I know I couldn't make it work in actual practice.

Don't forget that CC is 24 weeks, and usually you get all of December off...and you're done by the first of April....so that's over 10 weeks to put in extra material...That might help your spreadsheet;-)

snickelfritz:

You can just listen to SOTW and read great books. There doesn't have to be any great expectation to those books relating to CC. I just have them available to read during rest time.

Just don't put your spreadsheet in cement and you'll be fine! I find that about 3 times a year I need to fine tune our homeschool schedule and my homeschool expectations.

I just noticed your signature and your little ones are still little. There are many years ahead to have super long school days!

Of course, you can tell that Sara and I love CC, but really it's your group combined with your goals that makes or breaks the experiments. I look forward to hearing how it works out. BTW, I'm sure I've said it before....somewhere...but I use to live in Tulsa during my early teen years..... I'm not sure if it's still there...but Casa Bonita(sp?) was my favorite place in the world to eat....

It's giving up the day to be at CC. The decision is whether that day is better spent doing "my" SOTW/Science/art projects. Or if I want to give up "my" projects and just let what CC does be enough. :tongue_smilie:

The bonus to CC is that at least I know the projects WILL get done.

Thanks for all of the input. I'm still mulling.

Ahhh. I understand now.

What kind of feel did you get for the families when you visited? Do you think they'll be a good fit for you and yours? Really, I think that the fellowship and those connections are the strength of the program and worth giving up a morning for (and I'm a huge fan of the stay-at-home-and-do-my-own-thing philosophy--so this is saying a lot).

I hope you're able to come to a decision soon.

Ditto. I think it's important for us to be with other kids. One of ds9's main things he's learning is to be quiet when a "tutor" is talking, wait his turn, etc. Plus you can't get the same effect of public speaking at home, etc. When "everyone" is working on the same projects, the peer pressure is positive.

We choose to find a program or develop one so our kids can have these experiences away from home.

I totally think it's worth it.