Menu

Elementary Grammar advice please

Alison in KY

I would love to get some feedback on how well (or not) grammar is going with your younger students, and what programs you think might work for me.

I have tended to hold off on things like grammar and spelling with my kids (oldest is soon to be 10) until we were more solid in reading and get better at physical handwriting (whining about hands hurting stops). So for my soon to be 10 year old it's time to beef things up a bit. He is almost finished with the first GWG level 1/2 book. I really like GWG, however, to be honest my son doesn't really know anything about grammar. However, I don't think he'd really know anything about grammar from any program. He's just doing it to get the work done for the day, which is exactly how I remember grammar when I was in public school. He also says he hates grammar and I get that, it's not my cup of tea either.

Is this pretty normal for kids this age? Should I give something else a try even though I can't see him ever getting excited about grammar? Is it just one of those things that when they do nouns, verbs, etc often enough it will start to sink in?

TIA,

Alison in KY

Why do you want your son to learn grammar?

My son doesn't enjoy it either--we use Rod and Staff--but I don't feel capable of teaching without a curriculuum. I wish I did though! I'd much rather be teaching grammar in the context of his writing and compositions that from a textbook. It's why I was attracted to Classical Writing!

As well, if you plan to do Latin or any other foreign language with your son, you may find GWG redundant.

My older daughter has an embarrassingly limited knowledge of grammar. I've started her on First Language Lessons, because it appears the p.s. doesn't plan to teach any grammar at all.

My son, seven, has blown through the first year outlined in First Language Lessons in about three months. It was a little repetitive, but he knows the material, iykwIm.