Menu

Guest Katia

I would say make sure she has plenty of performance opportunities. Along with lessons, this makes for a very full schedule just because of the amount of practice involved.

For example: For each four years of high school my dd played at the local nursing homes at Christmas and Easter ; she played the midnight Christmas service for a different denomination than our own each year (along with playing often at our church) ; she played for quite a few funerals and several weddings ; a golden anniversary party ; at library teas ; at ladies luncheons ; at the local nature center ; at the art museum's 'openings' ; at the hospice center to help calm dying patients ; went to people's houses that were dying of cancer and played for them ; at the hospital ; and other community events as she was asked ; she did demonstrations at the public schools for their music classes ; played at the local coffee shop ; she prepared a demonstration for the local homeschool group ; she played for clubs like Kiwanis and Rotary ; and she planned and performed a Senior Recital. Oh, and she played in the State University's Orchestra because they only had one harpist and the piece they were doing that semester had parts for a second harp....so she was asked! That was cool as the State U is known to never let high schooler's play in their orchestra.

These are a few ideas for you. They look great on a resume, believe me and besides, my dd loved doing all of them.

But, besides performances and instrument demonstrations, I would say summer music camps (Young Harpists Seminar in GA or Interlochen in MI for example) would be good.

Involvement in --

Chamber music (does that apply to harp?)

Local orchestra (youth symphony, adult orchestra, college orchestra, whatever)

Volunteering -- harpists in our area have a ministry at the hospital where they play for patients on a regular basis

Camp -- if you can afford it, summer music camp is an AWESOME way to help your musician improve musical skills in many areas. Some are really competitive (Interlochen) but some are much friendlier (Kinhaven).

Teaching -- are there any local homeschoolers who might be interested in cheap lessons for a year while they decide if they want to pursue harp?

That's all I can think of for the moment. I'm sure many others have more suggestions.