Menu

Will a tailor be able to alter a suit jacket?

My dad gave my ds a suit. The pants fit perfectly but the jacket is too big through the chest and waist. Would a tailor be able to fix this for him?

Possibly. It'll depend on how the coat is actually constructed and how much alteration is needed. If the difference in size is too much to "take in", the coat will have to be recut.

You want an experienced tailor for this. Coats get very complicated very quickly.

ETA: It's also possible that the coat will be unalterable, but it'll be easier for a tailor to tell you than for me to describe what to look for.

HTH

I've had to use a tailor a couple of times for formal dresses for my oldest daughter.

I found one through the dry cleaners. She does her alterations right there at the dry cleaners.

You should be able to find someone that does alterations. You could make a phone call and ask them about the jacket.

My dad gave my ds a suit. The pants fit perfectly but the jacket is too big through the chest and waist. Would a tailor be able to fix this for him?

Yes but we found with my dh who had lost 50lbs & needed the jacket altered 2 sizes, it was only a few dollars off getting a new coat. Ask around & check the price for NEW!

Corb