Menu

AAS users, how does your week look?

Quiver0f10

I am going through level 1 and 2 really quick with my 5th and 7th graders and we are basically doing a lesson or two(or more) a day. For next year I'd like to use this with my 1st grade DD and I am not sure what a normal week of AAS should look like. Thanks!

My 7yo's schedule:

Monday

Review phonograms

Review Key cards

Spell 5 words aloud

Read 10 words

Tuesday-Thursday

Spell 5 words aloud

Read 10 words

Do part of a step. Generally I introduce the rule on one day, do the 10 main words the next, then the extra words take a few days to get through and the dictation also takes us a few days to get through.

But I am purposly going slowly to work on reading fluency and really master it.

Heather

Hey Heather, when you are using the words for reading fluency, when does your dd read the words in relation to when she tries to spell them (ie, does she read them the same day, day before, both... Do you know what I'm asking?!)

Also, do you use the dictation phrases/sentences for reading fluency as well? (And again I'd want to know when in relation to her doing them as dictation). Thanks!

Merry :-)

Hey Heather, when you are using the words for reading fluency, when does your dd read the words in relation to when she tries to spell them (ie, does she read them the same day, day before, both... Do you know what I'm asking?!)

Also, do you use the dictation phrases/sentences for reading fluency as well? (And again I'd want to know when in relation to her doing them as dictation). Thanks!

Merry :-)

Merry,

I follow you. I have her spell them first, then put the cards behind the mastered tab if she spelled them right and the review tab if they were difficult for her or she got them wrong. I take the words she spells aloud from the review tab first, if there are any, then the mastered tab. The reading words I take from the mastered tab.

Spelling the words aloud is tough for her, but it really makes her think about how it is spelled.

I haven't used the dictation sentences for reading fluency, mostly because they don't have pre-made cards. :D I will have to ponder that one.

Heather

Jean, I am not going to be helpful at all, but I'm just getting a kick out of how we are so much alike in our hsing choices...HomeSat, TOG, MFW (aren't you planning to switch to this?), and now AAS (I just ordered it) to go through with our older kids LOL.:D

Too funny! Yes, I am leaning towards MFW for next year. GMTA! :)

We do it at least 3 days per week though. When I have less time, I review phonograms and key cards, and one short part of a lesson. Longer days, I review and then do a longer section of a lesson. Usually, we spend two days just on spelling, on paper, the word lists, phrases and sentences. Then I know if there are any gaps that we need to go back and spend more time on. HTH!