Menu

Wordsmith vs. Put That In Writing: Mastering the Paragraph?

amtmcm

I'd love to hear people's opinions about Wordsmith versus Put That In Writing: Mastering the Paragraph?

Which is more thorough? How long do lessons take? It looks like Wordsmith might be completed in a semester and PTIW will take a year? Are both programs set up for working independently? Do your kids like?

If it makes a difference, I'd like to follow up using PTIW: Mastering the Essay

Thanks!

A lot depends on both how far along in writing your student is, and on your student's learning style. Wordsmith is gentle, informal and short; Put That in Writing is very structured, formal, and includes grammar exercises.

Our experiences with Wordsmith and PTIW with older DS:

- Wordsmith worked well for him 7th grade; he had turned the corner and felt pretty confident in writing a paragraph on his own, but wasn't ready to be overwhelmed.

- PTIW in 8th and it flopped big time (a big mismatch in tone and in what we needed out of a writing program)

- parts of PTIW with him in 9th, with great modifications.

Our experiences with Wordsmith and PTIW with younger DS:

- younger DS is a struggling writer; we used Wordsmith Apprentice in 6th/7th, and finished 7th with other materials

- did Jump In in 8th (a perfect next step for him)

- I thought we would do Wordsmith this year in 9th for him, but he was actually beyond it. His learning style is not going to fit very well with PTIW, so we are doing other things for writing for him this year, and may do just a few bits of PTIW with him next year in 10th.

Below is a link to a previous thread with my more in-depth "head to head" comparison of Wordsmith and PTIW, plus other people's experiences with the two programs. BEST of luck!

Please Help Me Sort Through These Writing Programs

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11399&highlight=put+writing

Edited by Lori D.
corrected typo