Menu

LLATL, Use on grade level?

tabd22

I'm sifting through all of my curriculum choices for next year and I really like LLATL.

This year we used WT1 with my 2nd grader and WT2 with my 4th grader. We have enjoyed it and they both have done very well. I don't feel my rising 3rd grader is ready for WT2. I would prefer to wait one year.

I looked at LLATL Yellow and LLATL Purple. CBD lists these as 3rd and 5th grade. Just curious if everyone uses them pretty much on grade level. By looking at the quick snippets I almost feel like bumping them each up one level. Just curious at what other's experience has been. I want to challenge them, yet not overwhelm.

Thanks!

It depends on what you've covered already in language arts I think. I would look at the special units that are taught in the different levels and decide that way. Generally, I use it one grade up--but, I've used it from the beginning so they've gotten the different units.

Here's the scope and sequence for the Yellow Book.

Here's for the Orange Book.

Here's for the Purple Book.

Here's for the Tan Book.

My 5.5 year old is flying through LLATL Blue (which is supposedly for 1st grade) while my 9 year old is working just fine through Orange which is right on level for him (4th grade). I actually used LLATL and WT II at the same time. They are very different programs and teach very different things. In regards to grammar, neither is particularly strong, but WTII is definitely stronger than LLATL. I don't feel like LLATL stands alone very well. However, I also didn't find anything to really "compliment" it the way I wanted so we are switching to CLE Language Arts (and reading)...but that is a whole 'nother post. LOL

Spelling is weak in both. LLATL has more "variety" - my son found WT II very monotonous.

Edited by Tree House Academy