Menu

History Odyssey level 1...help!

Sweetest

Here's the deal:

For third grade next year, we will be learning about Medieval History using SOTW 2. This year we used the Activity Guide for SOTW 1 and I found it overwhelming...so I am not planning on using it next year. We love SOTW and I will definitly use it again next year.

At first I thought I would try to schedule my own resources and use Knowledge Quest maps for map work, but I am finding that too overwhelming. I feel like I need some sort of a framework, specifically a reading guide...

I looked at Biblioplan but I think it is too religious for us. It looks like it would be difficult to adapt to be more secular.

So the only other thing I have found is History Odyssey. I really like that it uses several texts for the spine (Usborne and Story of the World, plus CHOW if you want), and that it includes mapwork and easy activities.

My concerns are that it doesn't include enough supplemental (optional) reading suggestions (hard to tell from the samples), and that some of the reading may be too simple (my dd is an advanced reader). Also I haven't seen any positive reviews here...maybe I am missing them?

So my questions (finally)...

1. Do the lesson plans include many additional reading suggestions?

2. Would you consider this a challenging program for a third grader?

3. Has anyone used this sucessfully (happily)?

4. Any other suggestions for a framework to go along with SOTW 2?

Thanks!

We used BP for many years, as Christians, but I don't think you would have any trouble ignoring the religious books/resources using their plan. It's just a lesson plan scheduling spines, readers for grammar and logic stage, read alouds, map and timeline suggestions, and writing suggestions for both stages. Year 1 would pose somewhat of a problem considering they incorporate Bible and Victory Journey of the Bible, but you can ignore those and just follow the plans for using Usborne or Kingfisher and some of the units on biblical history. A lot of the readers are those you would find on many other lists. Some are religiously oriented but since BP has a large bibliograpy plus alternates, you would be able to find alternatives readily.

hth somewhat

sylvia

Wow, thanks so much for that. I had considered asking a question about wether biblioplan could be secularized easily... We are actually reading through a story bible this year as part of ancient history but more from a story perspective...because I want my daughter to know the stories, so I don't have a problem with bible readings. The thing I really like about BP is that you can use it with different ages at the same time (i will be adding my son in a couple of years...). Thanks for your input!

1. Do the lesson plans include many additional reading suggestions?
Yes. We use a few of the suggested picture books, but use contemporary literature and historical fiction for most of our supplemental reading. The suggestions in HO cover a range of abilities, though it's not uncommon for me to have to use an outside recommendation for the Lesson's novel -- though our case might be exceptional.

2. Would you consider this a challenging program for a third grader?
That's a tough question, because HO is flexible enough to be as challenging as you make it. I'm doing it with an advanced 6yo with average 6yo writing skills. We don't do narrations or outlines because she's not ready for that amount of writing. However, we do supplement with higher level read-alouds. For us, each Lesson (week) consists of whatever readings and activities are in the Main Lesson Plan plus a couple picture books and (when available) literature or an historical novel. Most lessons take 1 week (Lesson 1st day, 4 hours of read-aloud, plus bedtime read-aloud for the remaining days). If there are projects, DD might work on those while I'm reading. We park on important areas (e.g. Greek myths, Hindu myths, and Bible stories for Ancients; Norse and Icelandic for Medieval) until we don't wish to read any more. I also do extra supplementation with folk tales using materials outside those recommended in HO (primarily using the Pantheon Folk and Fairy tale library).

3. Has anyone used this sucessfully (happily)?
I like HO because of its secular nature and flexibility. I find the texts and activities to be well chosen and am happy that there is little busy work to skip.

Does HO offer suggestions for higher level read alouds or do you come up with those on your own? I'm glad to hear of someone using this sucessfully. It really sounds like something I might like but for some reason I am afraid to make the leap...

Oh, do you use CHOW as a supplement or do you think this would be overkill?

Does HO offer suggestions for higher level read alouds or do you come up with those on your own? I'm glad to hear of someone using this sucessfully. It really sounds like something I might like but for some reason I am afraid to make the leap...
HO does have some higher level read-alouds; and, I've noticed more read-aloud novels recommended in Level 1 Medieval than Ancients. DD really enjoyed His Majesty's Elephant by Judith Tarr in the Charlemagne unit.

Oh, do you use CHOW as a supplement or do you think this would be overkill?
We use CHOW too, though it's not entirely secular so I do read ahead to see if there's anything I'll have to discuss or amend. I like that some of the facts presented differ from those in SOTW; it's a good opportunity do discuss how there are many things we don't know and "facts" can change depending upon your source material and point-of-view.

Thanks for your input!

You're welcome. Glad to help some. I have also looked at HO on their website and it looks good. I would have to add the Christian stuff for our uses. I think HO and BP look similar. BP has a week at a glance and has the recommendations, but it looks like HO has actual lessons of what to outline and summarize and maybe other projects/reports. That sounds like a good addition. Both of these programs appeal to me because of their simplicity, not too much info and plenty of room for flexibility.

Sylvia