Menu

Prima Latina and English grammar studies

Sara in WA

I'm contemplating starting Latin this fall. My kids will then be dd 9 (4th grade), dd 7 (2nd grade) dd 5.5 (K/1st) and ds (3.5). I hoped to begin Latin when I could teach 2 or 3 kids simultaneously. Prima Latina looks great for my two eldest and maybe even dd 5.

For those who used Prima Latina and then Latina Christiana - did you also do formal English grammar studies such as First Language Lessons? From what I gather, this Latin program includes English grammar studies, but I'm unclear if it is enough that I would cut out other English grammar. This year, my oldest is in FLL 3 and I'm sure we won't finish by the spring, so I planned to continue next year. Yet no need to double my work if Prima Latina is sufficient.

I'm looking to do the best job and not be redundant.

What do you think?

I'm contemplating starting Latin this fall. My kids will then be dd 9 (4th grade), dd 7 (2nd grade) dd 5.5 (K/1st) and ds (3.5). I hoped to begin Latin when I could teach 2 or 3 kids simultaneously. Prima Latina looks great for my two eldest and maybe even dd 5.

For those who used Prima Latina and then Latina Christiana - did you also do formal English grammar studies such as First Language Lessons? From what I gather, this Latin program includes English grammar studies, but I'm unclear if it is enough that I would cut out other English grammar. This year, my oldest is in FLL 3 and I'm sure we won't finish by the spring, so I planned to continue next year. Yet no need to double my work if Prima Latina is sufficient.

What do you think?

Prima Latina is more for the K-3 set and it has very little grammar. Rather, it is a gentle introduction to Latin.

I would skip Prima (and I have it for sale LOL, my youngest is ready for LC1 next year). Here's what I would do:

I would do LC 1 for your 2nd & 4th grader, maybe at half-speed and focus on vocab if any of the grammar is too tough for the 2nd grader (it prob won't be too tough). Then, I would have the Ker join in on the LC 1 sayings, songs and chants and not worry about anything else for the Ker as far as Latin.

At this pace (1 lesson over 2 weeks), you would be in LC 2 with a 6th & 4th grader in a few years and ready poss. to do LC1 in 2 more years with your

(3.5yo now) Ker and a 2nd grader (now your Ker)?

If you are having trouble adding in Latin to a full schedule, you could do a grammar program concurrently at the same half-speed.

I have not used FLL. I like A Beka for the basics/traditional grammar approach (gr 1-3) and then Shurley is my favorite homeschool curriculum for making grammar "stick" in the grades 4-6 (we skip Shurley Lev 5 and do Shurley Lev 4,6,7).

Btw, we have done a few things wrong in our homeschool but we seem to have Latin and English down pat!

lisaj, mom to 5

There is basic grammar covered in PL....a lesson in nouns, a lesson in verbs, etc. But I don't think it is enough grammar for a young elementary student. Most grammar programs will talk about nouns, have the child diagram sentences with nouns, do a worksheet on nouns, and then as the program moves on, nouns are repeatedly discussed. Then you need to talk about Indirect Objects/Direct Objects, etc etc.

You won't get this in PL. You could add it yourself I supposed but that would be alot of work. Might as well just buy a decent grammar program, so latin work could be focused on the latin, with a bonus of grammar reinforcement.

hth

I would skip Prima (and I have it for sale LOL, my youngest is ready for LC1 next year). Here's what I would do:

I would do LC 1 for your 2nd & 4th grader, maybe at half-speed and focus on vocab if any of the grammar is too tough for the 2nd grader (it prob won't be too tough). Then, I would have the Ker join in on the LC 1 sayings, songs and chants and not worry about anything else for the Ker as far as Latin...If you are having trouble adding in Latin to a full schedule, you could do a grammar program concurrently at the same half-speed.

Thank you to lisaj, bosket2 and laughing lioness for your help. It sounds like we would do well to go straight to PL and take it slowly. Deep down I know I am in charge of the schedule, yet at times I do get bogged down by what "they" (author, publisher, whoever) say for a time table. So silly.

We got a taste of Latin this year as we are in Classical Conversations and the kids are learning John 1 from the Latin Vulgate.

Thanks again,

Sara (who lives in W WA where is is snowing! - Strange)

What do you think?

My son started PL in 3rd grade after doing FLL 1 and 2, and did R&S 3 grammar alongside. We've continued on to R&S 4 and 5, and LC1 and LC2. Coming to the end of LC2 now, I don't see how he could have done LC2 without having the simultaneous English grammar instruction. I'm looking at starting Henle First Year Latin in a few months with the MP study guide, and I can see in those two books that further English grammar study is going to be very useful as a grounding for further Latin study.

A lot of people say here that it's the other way around - that Latin grammar undergirds English grammar study, but I've also read that that's if you KNOW Latin grammar well enough to teach it well, which I do not. English grammar is really helping with Latin here. I need the English terms explained to me in ENGLISH first, before I can understand them and teach them in Latin.