Menu

Sonlight Questions - Core 100, 3, 4 and 3&4

2 of my students (one of my children and one of my clients) will be in (home) High School next year. I've been so.....absorbed in other things that I haven't really planned next year.

My students will be as follows:

2 5th grade boys with attention issues ( 10 and 11)

1 7th grade girl who does not test well, loves being read to and remembers things she hears

2 9th grade students, average

I have been thinking of American History for all of them. Core 100 would be good for the older students.

I'm wondering if I should stick with just that and adapt for the youngers. Or if I should consider Core 4 or possibly Core 3-4 in addition?

Are you planning to read all the core 100 history aloud? If so, then yes, I would consider doing the core 100 history as the read-louds for the whole group.

The 9th graders could do all of SL100.

Instead to having the 7th grader do the reading/ writing from core 100, I would consider using The Story of the USA workbooks from 3+4. These are actually 4-8 grade reading comprehension books and in addition to being part of her history lesson they may help with those test scores! I would look at using the read-alouds from core 3+4 as her readers.

In 5th grade I am not sure other than listening to the Hakim portion of core 100 what else I would have them do for history- maybe they could be the keepers of the timeline. I would definitely use the readers from 3+4.

HTH-

Mandy

Last year I used Core 100 for my high schooler and core 3&4 condensed for my middle graders. It worked out well as they were all studying the same topic but on different levels. My high schooler even got interested in the books the middle guys were reading. I would recommend it.:001_smile:

With my 3rd, 6th and 8th grade students, we are using Core 100. Absolutely LOVE History of US. I read this aloud to eveyone, and I also read one of the history or literature selections, while my 8th grader reads what I don't read aloud (and 6th grader reads some also). Joy Hakim provides a delightful sweep of history in History of US. I will say that the writing assigments with Core 100 are numerous and sometimes a bit hard to understand (maybe it's just me!). I do wonder if my 8th grader was quite ready for this portion of the curriculum. I would definitely recommend Hakim! HTH

Diane