Menu

TOG users, how do you add more music and art into TOG?

I feel as though the amount of art...as in studying great art and artists and learning art skills is not always strong in TOG....we are in Year2 Unit 2...and this one is ok, but Unit 1 was pretty much nil...

music....appreciation/composers there is very little or none.

How do you TOG users supplement this? Thanks.

I would like a program that is not too intensive, but I can't pull it all together myself,

We do a CM style artist and picture study every week, an art project from Discovering the Great Artists on Monday morning, composer study with Themes to Remember on Thursday mornings, and listen to various composers during lunch and while we are working art, notebooking, maps, timeline, etc.

I feel as though the amount of art...as in studying great art and artists and learning art skills is not always strong in TOG....we are in Year2 Unit 2...and this one is ok, but Unit 1 was pretty much nil...

music....appreciation/composers there is very little or none.

How do you TOG users supplement this? Thanks.

I would like a program that is not too intensive, but I can't pull it all together myself,

Have you looked on the links on the TOG website? There is usually a ton of art links that go along with it. Year 2, unit 3 also has a music history book scheduled in dialectic and that continues over into year 3 as well. I think Art in Story is a perfect book to supplement and it wouldn't be difficult to correspond with TOG, although it isn't done for you. I think Art in Story is a wonderful resource.

WTMindy, does "Art in Story" stretch over all four TOG cycles? Are there color pictures in the book, or would you have to purchase pictures of art to supplement? Does it provide projects for the students, and if so, are they pretty easy to do? I tried to look 'inside the book' at Amazon, but I did not get a really good idea. I love the thought of having these stories about the artists/pictures!

Also, would anybody know of something like this for music?

Thanks in advance!

WTMindy, does "Art in Story" stretch over all four TOG cycles? Are there color pictures in the book, or would you have to purchase pictures of art to supplement? Does it provide projects for the students, and if so, are they pretty easy to do? I tried to look 'inside the book' at Amazon, but I did not get a really good idea. I love the thought of having these stories about the artists/pictures!

Also, would anybody know of something like this for music?

Thanks in advance!

I think (I'm not at home right now) that it covers all 4 years. It starts with ancients and I don't remember how far into the present it goes. There are no color pictures in the book, but one thing I like is that it tells which pictures to look up and resources to find them and what to look for in those specific pictures. I just googled a lot of the pictures and looked at them online. It does have some good projects, and I think Discovering Great Artists is a good partner to this and gives some great projects to go along with it.

In terms of music, they do more with music in the older grades. Dialectic stage and rhetoric stage uses music history books and in rhetoric they even suggest a book that has CDs along with it.