Menu

Trivium Stage Graduations? Anyone do this?

Hi all -

I was thinking about trying to do something a little special for the kids as they pass from one trivium stage to the next (sort of like 4th grade, 8th grade, and 12th grade graduation instead of the traditional elementary school, middle school and high school graduations). My (oldest) DS9 is completing 4th grade this year, so this would be the first year trying something like this.

First of all, do any of you do (or have you done) this? What are your ideas and experiences with it? Where did you go or what did you do? What did your DC really get excited about?

What I had in mind was something educational - perhaps a long weekend trip to see a special historical place and then an amusement park too to round out the fun. It might be too much $$ though, so my other thought was that perhaps just my DH or myself could take him alone somewhere fun and special (instead of the whole family).

I don't have any other concrete thoughts on this. Still stewing it around, and thought I'd solicit some direction for this lost mommy brain of mine! ha! FWIW, we live near Boston MA.

What do you think?

TIA! - Stacey in MA

I have never done this, but what a great idea! Both of your ideas sound like good ones. I would make sure to acknowledge your child's graduation in front of the other siblings, so that could be something they look forward to as well.

It might help later when the work gets harder, to remind him that he is now a dialectic student and more is required of him. It would make the transition more concrete. I don't know about your son, but I hear things like "Why does my school take longer?" or "Why do I have to do this and they don't?"

My kids don't really move out of one stage and into another at a given age. They may be ready for dialectic work in one area and not another. However, I do have a little talk with each kid at the beginning of the year and lay out my expectations for them that are a little different than the year before. But, it sounds like a fun idea. I'm always up for a celebration.