Menu

Regional Spelling Bee Brag Alert! :-)

Ds, whose 11th birthday is today, competed in the regional (equivalent to state level, I think) spelling bee for the first time today, and he placed 7th out of 30 spellers!!!! We are so proud of him! He was so relaxed going into it and had fun meeting other kids and participating. It was also nice for him to hear compliments from other people about his clear speaking and confidence on stage. He told us later that as he listened to the other kids spell, he knew most of the words. We didn't think he'd get this far the first time trying, but you never know! Did I mention how proud we are of him????:D

I also got to meet a Mom from these boards, who had told me how to enter homeschoolers in this Bee. Thanks, Terri, it was fun to meet you finally!

The other thing that was precious to watch was when the winner was declared. A bunch of officials converged on him, giving him prizes, taking pictures, etc.. Finally, when the speeches were done, his mother, trailed by kids and other family/friends, RAN down the aisle, PUSHED the officials out of the way, and grabbed him in a huge hug! It brought happy tears to my eyes - it was so precious to see! GO MOMS! :-)

Sarah CB, if you read this, let me know how your daughter does!

Edited by Colleen in NS

Your son did so well today Colleen! He was very confident and well spoken. I am sure he'll do REALLY well in the years to come. It's such good incentive for the kids to learn more words and the origins. All in all a very positive experience. I'm always surprised more schools don't participate... minus the HSers there would be 26 public schools and 1 private out of the whole province that sent in a representative. Oh well their loss. I can't wait to watch nationals on TV now.

Your son did so well today Colleen! He was very confident and well spoken. I am sure he'll do REALLY well in the years to come. It's such good incentive for the kids to learn more words and the origins. All in all a very positive experience. I'm always surprised more schools don't participate... minus the HSers there would be 26 public schools and 1 private out of the whole province that sent in a representative. Oh well their loss. I can't wait to watch nationals on TV now.

Thanks, Terri! I enjoyed watching your daughter, too! Before I met you today, she REALLY stood out to me in that practice round before the lunch break - she's so confident, too.

I was surprised only 30 out of the supposed 57 kids showed up!! Then again, there weren't many kids there from very far - one from Digby, you from where you are, and a few others, but most were from the HRM. Maybe it was too far for the other kids to travel? Yeah, that Armbrae private school boy was pretty sharp, too, wasn't he. I asked ds if he noticed that that boy asked, every single time, most of the allowed questions - I figured he did that as a matter of routine, to fixate the word firmly in his mind. Good strategy! It was so fun to watch them all.