Menu

Wood Allergies

Guest Hunter'smom

Guest Hunter'smom

My daughter is 15 yrs old... We have been struggling over the last couple years... It's been in the winter, her energy level goes up and drastically down.. she complains of tightness in the chest and a heavy feeling... she is very pale and has dark circles under her eyes... we have been to the Dr's had all the bloodwork done... Mono spots... iron.. you name it she's had it... Went to emerg this week and were more or less told we were wasting their time... were told it was most likely stress... Yesterday she started the fire (we heat with wood)... today she is in tears with the tightness.... she has never suffered from asthma... she's not coughing... has anyone out there heard or experienced this... any suggestions at all.... Thank you

Asthma can develop at any time in your life, and wood smoke has a lot of particles that can be a trigger for asthma. I would have her tested for that, just to be sure. Untreated, uncontrolled asthma can be dangerous.

Wood smoke and cig smoke are my biggest triggers. Even the smell of it on one's clothing can start an asthma episode in my lungs.

Mary

As I have gotten older, I seem to have developed a definite sensitivity to anything burning---seems more about possibly the particulate matter in the smoke than the actual substance? Not sure. For instance, I can eat something with sage in it, but burning sage will close me right up and start the itchy, watery eyes, etc. I can't even manage scented candles any more.