Menu

Plumbing advice needed

I have a clogged kitchen sink, completely blocked. I tried Draino and it is just sitting in the sink - nothing happened. It seems most likely to me that something is stuck in the small U shaped tube under the sink. So my thought is to remove the tube, putting a bucket under the sink to catch the water from the pipe, clean the tube, reattach and there you are - good as new.

I have never tried to work on under the sink plumbing before. Is there any reason this would not work? Is there anything I need to know or anything about which I need to be careful?

Thanks!

My DH does all our plumbing. So yes, in theory that is what you do.

Is it plastic or metal pipes? I don't know about metal for sure, but I do know that plastic needs to have "pipe dope" put back on it toget a good seal or it will leak.

Can you try a plumbers snake to get thru the clogged mess?

Now that there is Draino in the pipe, I wouldn't touch it! Even splatters of that caustic stuff are dangerous. I'd pour boiling water carefully in the drain and wait awhile. Later, when it has cleared, taking apart the drain and cleaning it out may be a good idea. If you have to take it apart be sure to wear gloves and eye protection. Regular doses of baking soda, vinegar and boiling water help keep drains clear.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I think something has gone down it (like loose change or marbles) thanks to my ds age 3. He doesn't remember putting anything down it, but his cars were sitting on the counter next to the sink, so.....

I have let the sink sit overnight and also tried boiling water. Nothing is going down.

I have called around looking for a plumber's snake, but no one seems to have one.

I will wear plastic gloves and protective glasses, but I don't think anything short of taking apart the pipes will work. I hadn't thought about a sealant. I will have to buy that tomorrow!

A few thoughts:

Definitely be careful if you've poured any chemical in the drain. I'd wear a pair of safety goggles and a face mask (only a couple of bucks at Home Depot) as well as gloves and old clothes.

Put a bucket or some such under the drain before you start to take it apart. (Move all that other stuff out of the way as well.)

It does sound like taking apart the trap will do the trick. However, things rarely go as planned, so be prepared to have to make a run to Home Depot or Lowe's to buy a new part or two. Be sure you take the old ones with you, and take the time to talk to one of the helpers there. He/she will know the common pitfalls and probably save you from a return trip.

If it's just the drain, you may not need to turn off the water to fix it, but be sure you know how to if you do need to. There ought to be shut-off valves under the sink, so you shouldn't need to shut off the water to the whole house.

You will probably want some plumber's (teflon?) tape to wrap around the threads when you're putting it back together. Again, very cheap.

Leave the bucket in place and don't put your other stuff back under the sink for a day or two until you're sure you have everything sealed up well.

HTH

I had to take apart the pipes under my sink and clean them before. My pipes were plastic and I didn't need any sealant because the joints were screwed together and had plastic washers. I just unscrewed the pipes, removed the gunk, cleaned the pipe, and put them back.

When you take the pipes apart, make sure that you remember the order, I didn't and it was like putting together a puzzle.

You don't even need to turn off the water, just make sure no one turns on the faucet while you are working. And make sure you have a bucket under the sink to catch everything.

It wasn't that hard. I am soooo not handy around the house, but I got tired of telling my dh that it needed to be done, so I just did it myself.

Thanks for all the advice! I am waiting until tomorrow to try it. My kids had karate all evening and they have a big race in the morning. I didn't want sink issues to get in the way and I figured it would give me time to pick up longer gloves and one of the cheap face masks. I think I can do it though and will try it out tomorrow afternoon. :)