Menu

Saxon to rightstart?

Melinda

My child who loves math has become very bored with the repetition in Saxon. Is Rightstart a thorough program or would we need to supplement with something like Singapore?

Melinda,

Right Start has review sheets and covers concepts well. I don't think you need to supplement it at all. I think may people do because they like to have something as back up on bad days where they can just hand the child a book and have them do a few pages.

I use Singapore because it was MY first choice of programs, and we hs year around, My kids are hands on learners so they needed RS. Given we have the extra time we kept Singapore around too.

Heather

Melinda,

Right Start has review sheets and covers concepts well. I don't think you need to supplement it at all. I think may people do because they like to have something as back up on bad days where they can just hand the child a book and have them do a few pages.

I use Singapore because it was MY first choice of programs, and we hs year around, My kids are hands on learners so they needed RS. Given we have the extra time we kept Singapore around too.

Heather

:iagree:

That is exactly why we use both. Some days I just don't want to teach math, so out comes Singapore. I always make sure that what they do in Singapore has already been "taught" in Rightstart though, so its more review or possibly showing them how to do something a different way. Plus, just as Heather said, Rightstart is more hands on. We've gone the past week to two weeks without any worksheets at all but there has been plenty of learning.

HTH,

:iagree:

That is exactly why we use both. Some days I just don't want to teach math, so out comes Singapore. I always make sure that what they do in Singapore has already been "taught" in Rightstart though, so its more review or possibly showing them how to do something a different way.

Same for us too. We do a four-day week with Fridays lighter. So, we do RS on M-Th and Singapore on Friday. Although, my daughter just finished up RS B today and for the last two weeks we've also been doing an exercise in Sing 1B every day just because the Singapore lessons are review right at the beginning of the workbook and my dd was picking up these last RS B concepts easily. I like keeping Singapore a little behind RS too for the reason that Lucidity mentioned. I want RS to teach the concept first and then use Singapore for more practice and/or to learn a different way.

That being said, up until Christmas we were using only RS. I definitely felt like it was enough. I started supplementing with Singapore only because I am looking at doing RS C and then transitioning over to Singapore as our main program. RS gives such a wonderful foundation of mathematical thinking that the time it takes on the part of the teacher is worth it. OTOH, there are always those days when throwing a workbook at them is wonderful! :tongue_smilie: