Menu

Notgrass Exploring America

I saw a post somewhere else about the author's beliefs being obvious in the books- can anyone expand on that? I have been told that Notgrass does not take a providential view of history, is that correct?

Also, I read on this board that the amount of reading in Exploring America is huge, considering the short amount of time the student is given before moving on, and that there isn't much time to really digest the info. What do those of you who have used this think?

Thanks!

I'm not quite sure what someone means by saying you can tell what the author's beliefs are. I think that is true in almost any course material that goes beyond a purely "just the facts, mam" type of approach.

It is clear that the author is Christian, constitutionally conservative, honest about the good bad and ugly, Biblical in his interpretation or analysis of history. It is definitely not providential in its approach. America is not presented as the shining city on a hill. I thought it was pretty even handed and not overly preachy. Even though we are strong evangelicals here, I can't stand preachy texts.

Regarding the amount of reading: It depends on how you use the course. If you are using it with all the literature and ancillary materials it is a significant amount of reading...but, in that case, you are also using it for two or three credits (history, bible and lit/composition)So, in that instance, if the reading, discussion and writing took 3 hours a day, you would really be on par with separate 1 credit courses in each subject.

We used it only as a 1 credit history course. Our ds was already in an American Lit course for the year so we didn't need that side and we had a different plan for bible. We used the Notgrass text as our spine and did most of the additional readings from primary sources. The text is very easy to read, but the primary sources are not. But, I think that is a good thing. The student has an easy text to get the big picture and harder, meatier material to read and discuss from the primary stuff. I had the first edition. I did a little rearranging of the reading assignments so that the number of pp per day balanced out better for our schedule. We supplemented with TTC videos The History of the United States, 2nd Ed. This made a really solid US course for us. I also wanted ds to start to get used to lecture format since he was a junior at the time.

Hope this is helpful....please feel free to follow up.

We are using Notgrass also, but not finding the author's beliefs a problem. They are obvious, but not obnoxious and not "twisted", as in unacceptable or off par with what we believe. It is a very honest look at American History. Like the pp said, if you are using it for all 3 credits----it is certainly an immense amount of reading and work! But then again---for such "heavy" reading as Uncle Tom's Cabin or even Davy Crockett----the number of pages to be read per day given their reading schedule is TOO much as far as I am concerned. We are used to Sonlight's reading schedules that give time to not only read, but digest, especially more challenging books. I started out having dd read the selections from Notgrass not included in our SL books according to the Notgrass schedule, but I am having to alter that because the number of pages per day of VERY dry material is awful. :glare:

I saw a post somewhere else about the author's beliefs being obvious in the books- can anyone expand on that? I have been told that Notgrass does not take a providential view of history, is that correct?

I agree with the previous poster that Mr. Notgrass writes from a Christian perspective. In fact, in the very first Bible lesson (regarding determining one's worldview) he states that his curriculum "approaches history with the belief that God created the heavens and the earth and that He continues to guide the events of the world."

This is not to say, however, that every lesson is filled with "Christian commentary". As the pp mentioned, the text is not "preachy".

With regards to a "providential view", I think it necessary to clarify terms. I've recently read others who think of "the providential approach" as believing God is at work in history. If that is what one means, Notgrass is providential. The author states that he see the hand of God both blessing and chastening Americans~~which I believe is true of other nations as well

If, otoh, one considers "the providential approach" as the idea that America is a new, chosen nation, you'll not find that in Notgrass. I've spoken with the author personally on this issue, and he is not providential. He makes no bones about appreciating this country, but he is also objective and unafraid to deal with America's faults.

Also, I read on this board that the amount of reading in Exploring America is huge, considering the short amount of time the student is given before moving on, and that there isn't much time to really digest the info. What do those of you who have used this think?

Thanks!

There is a fair amount of reading in EA. The text is straightforward and not difficult, so that doesn't take long at all. Some of the primary documents (of which there are usually about 3-4 a week) are more difficult, especially in the earlier lessons. As the year progresses, those readings become easier due to the writing becoming more "modernized". As for the literature selections, they are usually scheduled to be read over one or two weeks, although allowing an extra week or two is viable since there are breaks between readings. (My dc, who are doing a separate literature program, read them as part of their history credit and haven't had difficulty in keeping up.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that Notgrass is a very flexible program. I don't think its' overall effectiveness would be hampered by deleting a reading here and there, if one felt that necessary.