Menu

Vocabulary through Classical Roots or English from the Roots Up???

butterfly113

IF you have used one of these, would you mind sharing about it? What do you absolutely love? Anything you or DC really DIDN'T like? Do you prefer one over the other? Why?

I am looking to start one in 4th grade through middle school...

Could you use the cards from EFTRU and extra info to tie into Vocab from Classical Roots??? hhhmmmm....

Thanks!

Edited by butterfly113
another question... spelling

We've used both and prefer the Vocabulary from Classical Roots series because there is less involvement from Mom. The older children appreciate curriculum that they can do on their own. Now that I have five students and no infant, toddler, preschooler to chase after, we still prefer the independent study. (although, today we do have an infant and toddler in the house! No schoolwork is getting done at all)

I have both. IMO Vocabulary from Classical Roots has word choices appropriate for older children. EFTRU has more of a flashcard format, so if you mean to do flashcards, that would be a better choice. In the EFRU book, the author gives a little background on the word, some little tidbit which I find interesting. Vocab from CR is more of a word list with definitions. Though VFCR does include sample sentences, which EFTRU does not.

I couldn't decide. Bought them both!

The book has the word layed out just like a flash card with the latin/greek color on it. Below is the definition and words that use the root, like you would find on the back of the flashcard. Below that are some teaching notes. A little history of the word or usage explanation, sometimes an activity. I have never used any of the teaching notes - we do it as a flash card program but I have the kids make their own flashcards with a spiral bound set of index cards. I just have it in book form because it is easier for me to use and read. You don't need both but you can use both if you don't want the kids to make flash cards.

I use EFTRU first for familiarity and then VFCR starting in 4th or so.