Menu

help for next year..need more structure

Pine Ledge Academy

This is what I like of what I do:

TOG year 2, doing with 1st,3rd, 4th grade levels,it takes care of hx, lit, geog, fine arts, church hx, writing

Apologia science

Latin

I feel like I am lacking in:

Reading comp...once they read well, how to keep up and keep challenging

Grammar...unsure..have been using Shurley, but levels 3 and 4 I pretty much taught together and my 4th grader only added indirect objects and a few other new things the whole year.

Math..now using Horizons but not convinced it is ideal

Handwriting..my 1st child was a natural so I didn't need to do much, but the next 2 haven't been and now have some bad habits bc I did not take enough time with it early on

plus....i will be adding in 2- 5 year olds in the fall, and am not sure how I will juggle everyone and not be leaving them to teach themselves.

So, is there some sort of curriculum out there that would let me keep my TOG, science and Latin, give me great reading comp and grammar,math,and handwriting set it all out for me every day, give me time with each child but not require too much time since there are 5 kids to deal with..and maybe clean the house?

I don't think I want a whole curriculum, just parts, but I want the help planning. Thanks!

We've been using R&S for grammar & just started CLE for reading (per all the recommendations here) and are VERY happy with both. While I often teach grammar to the kids separately, most of the time the 4th graders are working on the same things the 6th grader is (but the 6th grader's is more detailed) - so often I can combine some of that teaching. There's not a schedule for either, but they're very much "open & go" - we do one lesson a day for R&S and will be doing 1 story/3 lessons per week for reading.