Menu

Program to help my son focus more

scrapbabe

My 9 year old son is such a good kid, but he is easily distracted. I can ask him to go put his socks in the hamper and half way down the hall he'll ask me "what was I supposed to do"? I'm just wondering if there are some games or a program or something I could use to help him develop better focus and cognitive skills.

I thought about Brainware Safari, but it didn't get glowing reviews here on the board. I'm not even sure if that's what I need.

Any thoughts?

Smiles,

Shalynn

A few things spring to mind. Do you do any memory work? This might help him build some tools to remember simple tasks and grocery lists etc.

Once thing i do with my DC when i ask them to do something is get down to their level, get them to look at me, give the instructions, have them repeat the instructions back to me. That helps to ensure understanding and if they verbalise the instructions i find they are more likely to remember what it is they are doing.

For me personally i find i have to repeat something to myself in my head if i need to remember it. Like i might think 'Don't forget to take the kids hats'. So for the next little while or until i have completed the task i will repeat in my head 'kids hats' over and over. This might be a technique you could discuss with your DS.

My 9 year old son is such a good kid, but he is easily distracted. I can ask him to go put his socks in the hamper and half way down the hall he'll ask me "what was I supposed to do"?

I laughed out loud because my (almost) 9yo ds is the same way.

We have started some logic this year for precisely that reason. I found Logic Safari for him through the parent recommendations on this board. There are others at Prufrock Press: http://www.prufrock.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=151 You can purchase some of then at Rainbow, Amazon, and CBD as well.

He is also doing some Bible memory work this year, but I allow him 4 weeks to work on it. He reads it aloud daily to me.

Additionally, I have a weekly assignment sheet for him and his older brother. It has his daily independent work as well as chores with check boxes. He loves this and asks for it every Monday morning if it's not on his desk. I had to give him a visual reminder so I wouldn't constantly have to nag him. This way I just say, "Is everything done on your list?", or , "Have you checked your list?" instead of asking about particular chores or assignments. I can honestly say that this had helped immensely in our home.

My fourth son is 10 - and he's right there. Having had three go through this before, I know it will pass. Relax, he will get his brain back when he's about 11 or 12. THEN, about 13 you will feel like an alien has taken over your son's body, and that will last until about 16 or 17. :)

I've been told that when they are teenagers this improves ...

I can only say I hope so ! :confused:

ds is 10 and still highly distractable. His memory has always been excellent, so doing any memory work isn't going to help. We all homeschool together in the same room and he has a really hard time concentrating when the others fidget or talk.

I have given him a checklist for his homeschool work and chores for the day. This helps him to focus on doing one thing, checking it off, and then moving onto the next - instead of me having to remind him. So it helps with him remembering, for example to feed his rabbit or take out the trash.

But as for a quicky, like taking his laundry to his room, why does a simple task take half an hour ?!? And if the two boys are up in their room putting their laundry away together - well, just say I had no idea that putting laundry away could be such an exuberant affair.

My fourth son is 10 - and he's right there. Having had three go through this before, I know it will pass. Relax, he will get his brain back when he's about 11 or 12. THEN, about 13 you will feel like an alien has taken over your son's body, and that will last until about 16 or 17. :)

Zagazoo by Quentin Blake describes this exactly - you should be able to check it out of the library. Delightful picture book about a couple who receive a package, a baby named Zagazoo - and all the various stages he morphs through ! Really funny !

My 7 yr old dd is like this, too. I like the checklists, I try to go over her day in the morning with her. She's bright but when a word sparks her interest she is off on another thought and it spirals. You can tell by her expression when she's "not there" anymore.

You all are cracking me up! Thanks for the advice. I had forgotten that a checklist helps sometimes. I'll have to implement it again. It's comforting to know that I'm not that only one. I have all boys but so far he's the only one so easily distracted.

The other day he was telling someone a story about a time when he was at a water park. He went down the water slide thinking my hubby would be there to catch him at the end. He wasn't there and my son struggled a little bit before finally making it to the side of the pool. Okay that took like 5 seconds to tell. His story was at least 10 minutes long because he just loses his focus. By the end I didn't even know what story he was telling, and I was there when it happened. :001_smile:

I like the idea of using some kind of logic books or software - so thanks for those suggestions. And someone mentioned cod liver oil. What does that do? I'm all for natural supplements, but hadn't heard of using that before.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions! I'm feeling much better.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Edited by scrapbabe