Menu

Classical Conversations ?

jg_puppy

I recently (thanks to these boards) discovered Classical Conversations. I think my kids especially my dd would love this. There is not room in the budget to join a group this year, but I am hoping with some planning and budgeting we might have enough the next year. I was wondering can a student start Classical Conversations in 5th grade.

If you loved the idea of Classical Conversations, but didn't have the money would you buy some of their products and try to have Classical Conversations at home. If so what would you buy?

Jan

We have been doing CC at home for two years now and loving it. I am actually starting a class up in my area this fall and very excited about adding more support and encouragement to our homeschool. I too wanted to do CC but the closest class was an hour away so I opted to do it at home. For fifth grade, you can purchase the foundations guide, memory work CD, and memory cards to do memory work. She would do Essentials as well and they use a grammar program similar to Shurley English and IEW.

I would also propose to consider tutoring. That would enable you to afford the cost and then some! Talk to your local Director.

You may be able to get on as a tutor, which covers the cost of one child and then some (depending on # children in your class, etc.) It really helped me have more motivation to learn the material myself. And I love teaching.

You could buy the CC Foundations Guide and gather a few families and do it in your own way without much expense. Moms could even help with the science experiemnt, art, etc. I would not do it with only my own family. (Boring, no positive peer motivation, lose the Presentation benefits, etc.)

What is involved in becoming a tutor? I love teaching, but I would prefer to have lessons plans that I could follow and not have to make up my own plans.

I know of another family that wanted to set up sort of like a co-op with our two families this year, but I couldn' t find anything that I thought would work well together. We don't use a lot of the same materials. Maybe that family would be interested in doing something like this. Combined we would have 5 school aged kids and 3 year old.

Jan

You could do it with a couple of other families. If you have some things on the side for the 3 year old, it's probably be best. I'd have one mom do all the memory work for the quarter...(at least) and then moms rotate quarters for the Science...etc. (It'd work well for 2-3 moms to rotate through)

Everyone purchase new Guides (they are on sale this month) and new cds...etc...because there are a ton of corrections in them.

Carrie:-)

There is an information meeting Monday night for the closest CC group. I will go and see about becoming a tutor.

If they don't need any tutors then I will have to wait until the next year to join a group which is when my oldest will be in 5th grade. I would still like to use some of the materials this coming school year with my kids. I am a little confused about the materials. Would I use foundations, essentials or both with my kids next year? I will have a young 4th grader and a 1st grader.

Jan

I would do Cycle One, and at least go to the Open House...they'll probably have that. This way you can do the practice at home, the same way you do it at CC. I wouldn't worry about Essentials. Just do a program like Shurley Grammar...that's the closest to Essentials' EEL that there is... You can go ahead and get Our Mother Tongue for reference. You might want to do some IEW, if you want to be up where they are..either way, it'll be fine.

Also, why not get another family to do it with you at home, if you can't tutor? That'll give you some accountability and fun:-)

Carrie:-)

What is involved in becoming a tutor? I love teaching, but I would prefer to have lessons plans that I could follow and not have to make up my own plans.

I know of another family that wanted to set up sort of like a co-op with our two families this year, but I couldn' t find anything that I thought would work well together. We don't use a lot of the same materials. Maybe that family would be interested in doing something like this. Combined we would have 5 school aged kids and 3 year old.

Jan

To be a tutor your director has to OK it and you have to attend tutor training (free--usually a couple of days in the summer. I even stayed overnight with one of the local moms so no cost there).

The material to be introduced and reviewed is all there in the guide. You just have to figure out how to do it to keep the interest of the kids, etc. There's a yahoo group, a download group, and the CC forums where you can get ideas. Truly, your family will get more out of CC if you tutor and go over things yourself.

Foundations is really neat. Essentials is really challenging for some students. It also dictates your time and curriculum choices, whereas Foundations doesn't and only needs 10-15 minutes of review a day, listening to cds, etc. My kids would hate Essentials.

I think you'll enjoy the introductory CC meetings and gain more information. It can be confusing, but ask here and we'll help you.